Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins

Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 12:02PM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 12:24PM) rpestes
Have you noticed any speed change such as in rendering?
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 12:39PM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 12:44PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Christoph,

I could be wrong about this, but it's not about which Macs (as long as they dual core), it's about the apps needing to be rewritten to run 64 bit.

--ken
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 05:17PM) Tom Stitzer
That's how I understood it too. The app has to be written to take advantage of 64 bit, which Final Cut Studio 2 is not written to do, and neither is the new Studio either if my info is correct.

In any case, I've decided not to upgrade just yet. Though the speed changes are being reported as fantastic in the general OS (safari, mail, opening and closing apps) I don't want to risk other programs (Toast 9, Magic Bullet Looks, 1password) having any problems right now. I'll wait until bug are worked out and more info is available. I might still buy it though and just put it away. It's only $25 bucks on Amazon with free shipping! Nice!
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 12:48PM) Graeme Herwig
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 12:55PM) Ken Stone Admin
Thanks Graeme,

See, I was right about being wrong.

(g)

--ken
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 01:05PM) Graeme Herwig
No Ken your wrong about being Right!

The apps do need to be written to take advantage of 64 bit.

I'm not a programmer but- my understanding is that to take advantage of multi processors the app's need to be written for 64 bit or multithreaded enabled (to be honest those two things could be the same thing- as i say I'm not a programmer)

'Grand central dispatch' an SL technology apparently helps non 64-bit multithreaded written applications take some advantage of SL 64 bit architecture

As far as I know compressor is the only application in FCS3 that comes close to being 64-bit/multithreaded.

This is just my understanding- and is probably half-baked rubbish.

Hope fully someone will come along and correct me

Graeme

Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 02:14PM) Ken Stone Admin
I was wrong about being wrong about being right about being wrong.

It's 102 degrees and you expect me to write a coherent sentence.

(g)

--ken

PS. For over a year now, Mathamatica has been 64 bit. There is also one 3D rendering application that has been 64 bit for awhile. That's about it.
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 12:37PM) Graeme Herwig
Thanks for write up Christoph

Out of interest what machine are you using

Graeme
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 12:41PM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 12:57PM) Graeme Herwig
Mac pro 1,1
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 01:38PM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 01:46PM) Ken Stone Admin
Excellent Christoph,

Thanks.

--ken
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 01:49PM) Graeme Herwig
Ive read that 10.6 will by default start up in 32 bit mode but will dynamically switch to 64-bit if a 64-bit application is opened.

because your Macpro is a Xeon it will be able to utilize 64-bit apps when you get them.

it's Great that Apple manage to integrate all this stuff with the user in mind.
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 01:57PM) Graeme Herwig
Since I'm not working with our Australian editor tonight i'm off to bed! keep up the good work Christoph!

Ken- i don't know if you saw my post earlier but Super Duper was updated today for SL

Goodnight all
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 02:01PM) Christoph Vonrhein
Thanks Graeme! Good night! Sleep well!
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 02:06PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Graeme,

Yes, I saw your post, thanks.

I'll probably pick up Snow Loepard on Monday. What I want to take a look at is QT X. As side from appearences, I wonder what else has change. And .... I sure hope that they left Disk Utility alone.

--ken
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 28, 2009 01:59PM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 29, 2009 02:40AM) Graeme Herwig
Thanks Christopher,

My SL arrived today will use your advice where needed!

(I'm still running FCS3 as only a 'plaything' not a work tool- but i use your repair tools a lot as I have 18 year old library of rushes of various formants to deal with- so good to know your little life savers will still work)

Graeme
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 31, 2009 08:41AM) videovlad
So I read this and I read that about SL, 64Bit 32 Bit more memory less memory yadayadayada.
My question is fairly simple: I have a pretty tight system right now consisting of a MacBook Pro 2.2 Intel Core duo 2(two) with 4 gigs of RAM, One TB eSata drive running of an xpress card and two five Gig drives via Firewire. My monitor (HD) and peripherals. I do not run not even half of the APPS that are not compatible with SL but I run FCP Studio 2 with all the goodies, some plug ins from Joe and Crumple Pop. (and some Eureka). I edit almost every day on DVCPROHD and AVCHD (transcoded to HDV) and no problems.

Anyway as a Mac user I am enticed about the fact that SL may access more physical memory: Question number one IS this true? Can I put two 4 Gigs sticks that are already in the market and access that memory?

The fact that it will speed up the process of anything on the system appeals to me: Question number two, Will that speed up renderings and the like?

I am not ready to dump my faithful mac book pro for another system, neither run to the store and buy FCP3 (just yet) although I read not long ago that FCP in fact was from version six a 64Bit app, and the whole reasoning on the OS upgrade was for all Apple apps to be more effective: Question number three, should I upgrade my system and if so is that going to screw up my FCP 2 that is already installed?

I thank you all for your kind intervention.
Vlad
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 31, 2009 10:13AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 31, 2009 10:19AM) Ken Stone Admin
From what I understand, it will require the third party developers to rewrite their apps to take advantage of more ram, as well as using more cores and throwing work on to the monitor card.

I think that Snow Leopard is more about the future.

FC Studio is really behind the times.

My 2 cents.

--ken
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 31, 2009 01:48PM) videovlad
Thanks for the prompt reaction, but my question was more about the OS10.6 than the hardware. If 10.6 was installed will all these (in my last posting) questions be answered?

Thanks again.
Vlad
Re: Snow Leopard (first impression), FCS, CHV-Plugins (August 31, 2009 02:19PM) Christoph Vonrhein
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login