Correct installation of Final Cut Studio 3 Folders

Correct installation of Final Cut Studio 3 Folders (October 28, 2009 09:41PM) Steve uk
Dear Ken and all
I recently purchased my Mac pro to the spec stated in an earlier post on this forum.
I've now installed Final Cut Studio 3 following all the automatic preceedures on the disks. This automatically sent 2 document folders to my home folder on the system/boot hard drive. 1. Final Cut Pro Documents. 2. Color Documents ( containing 2 further folders Media and Renders)
After launching Final Cut for the first time I used system settings and set the Scratch Disks to my seperate media drive which now also has a Final Cut Pro Documents folder.
Do I need to remove the Final Cut Pro Documents folder from my home folder on the system/boot drive ?
Do I need to put the Color Documents folder onto the seperate media drive or leave it where it is ?
I recently read an artcle by Larry Jordan on organising your files and media where he suggests that you should set up
a folder on your system/boot drive for FCP Projects & have a Final Cut Pro Documents folder on the seperate media drive. He makes no mention of the Color documents folder.
What the best and correct way to set up the relevant folders on a system that Final Cut will always automatically follow for each
and every new project ?

Regards Steve.
Re: Correct installation of Final Cut Studio 3 Folders (October 29, 2009 05:19AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Steve,

Leave the FCP Doc folder on your boot drive. It's empty and does not tak up any space. If you ever fail to have your scratch drive up and running, FCP will default to this folder.

I keep my FCP project files on my desktop, which is the boot drive. Everything else goes to my scratch dive.

I think that you can leave the Color folders at their default.

--ken
Re: Correct installation of Final Cut Studio 3 Folders (October 29, 2009 09:37AM) Steve uk
Thanks Ken
I have all the folders in place as suggested, however, I am finding that when I capture video from a compact flash card it places the files in the Final Cut Pro Documents folder on the Scratch Disk but does not insert them into the Capture Scratch folder but leaves them as files in amongst the six folders at the first level.
Any idea as to why they don't go into the Capture Scratch folder.

Regards Steve.
Re: Correct installation of Final Cut Studio 3 Folders (October 29, 2009 09:42AM) Ken Stone Admin
Steve,

System Prefs > in the Capture Scratch setting window, navigate to that folder and set it.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login