Wireless mic dilemma

Wireless mic dilemma (November 15, 2009 06:37PM) Rick Sparks
I've been using a Lectrosonic CR187 receiver and M187 transmitter (VHS) for years. Now I need to produce an infomercial with two people talking throughout and need to mic them both separately. I can get another Lectrosonic CR187/M187 set up (used) for about $600. Or I can go for a new audio-technica two-mic wireless set-up (1800 series, UHF) for about $1300. I know that Lectrosonic products are higher quality, but I just can't afford the $4,000 or so a two mic system from them would cost. Also there's going to be some movement of the two on-camera guys and a lot of metal surfaces, so I'm a little concerned about the UHF signal and drop-out. Please help me make this decision and give me any other options. Some guys say the audio-technica set up gives you really good sound. Some say it's very noisy. Help!
Re: Wireless mic dilemma (November 15, 2009 11:06PM) Graeme Herwig
Hi Rick
hope all is well in Oregon!
As i remember hiring is not an option for you.

Afraid I'm not familiar with either of the particular products you mention- i do tend to steer clear of audio-technica since buying a noisy shotgun from them but that was a long time ago.

In this case i'd stick with what you know- if your happy with your Lectrosonic set up it makes sense to add to it- and as long as the $600 2nd hand setup is in good working order- this would be cheaper and probably better quality than the audio-technica.

their is not much difference between VHS and UHF these days as you are just as likely to get interference on either.

what sort of area are you filming in? you use Sony ECM's if i remember right.

It's best to keep mics on a wire- wireless is always a compromise- so if their is not a lot of movement and you can't see the performers feet consider wires where possible.

Graeme

Re: Wireless mic dilemma (November 16, 2009 03:17AM) Videot
Re: Wireless mic dilemma (November 16, 2009 04:19AM) Graeme Herwig
Thats a good point M.
You have to be wary especially of 2nd hand and new UHF equipment as they can be illegal. but the Lectrosonics M187 transmitter runs in the 150MHz to 216MHz range. the it's 700 MHz band has recently been sold in the US.

Always pays to check equipment and local laws. Also you could give Lectrosonics a ring and check legality and ask if there are any technical issues running 2 of these at the same i.e. what separation they advise.

Think your transmitter & receiver are on a pre set frequency- you need to make sure that the new unit you get doesn't run on the same frequency or can be changed on the fly.
Graeme
Re: Wireless mic dilemma (November 16, 2009 10:34AM) Rick Sparks
Well, I was going to buy one of the two CR187/M187 sets Lectrosonic has left ($1250) but I searched again and found a used set for $450, which is on its way to me even as I write. I asked in several forums for help with this issue, but none of the others was anywhere near as much help as this one. Thanks to Graeme and M. And to Ken for creating this wonderful resource. We're hopefully going to be producing our first 30-minute infomercial soon so we really needed to ramp up our audio capability. This just seems to have been the year for that.

The 30-second spot I produced for the Timbermen's Barbershop Chorus turned out just great. The sound guy at Umpqua Community College (where we held our concert) said he'd been really impressed by the quality of the sound in the spot. But I couldn't have pulled it off as well without Graeme's help.

Thanks again everybody. Have a happy Thanksgiving.

Rick
Re: Wireless mic dilemma (November 16, 2009 11:01AM) Graeme Herwig
Hi Rick

I get the feeling that these Lectrosonic transmitters and receivers are locked i.e. that they all operate in the 150MHz to 216MHz range but at pre set frequencies in this range (so you can use several units) but you can't as an end user change this yourself.

So check out the frequencies as soon as you get the transmitter- the last thing you want is two locked transmitters running on the same frequency.

Hopefully you will be ok- but If they are the same you will need to get Lectrosonic to change the frequency on one of the pairs. (i think they change a Crystal) this might cost $100 and take some time.

Glad things went well with the Chorus- it's says more about your attention to detail, than my my help.
Kens board is great- your right!

Graeme

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login