Render file folder

Render file folder (March 19, 2010 12:41PM) Vince
Hi,
While rendering some projects on a friend's laptop today we encountered a disk full error message and instructed to delete some render files with render manager. We discovered a "render files" folder on the internal drive in the root drive directory (not in FCP app) of 200+ gig. The scratch disk in FCP was set for an external drive yet the render files have been accumulating in the internal drive. I checked my MacBook and discovered I had a bundle of render files on the system drive too. Scratch disk, capture and render settings have always been set to an external drive. Why would FCP be creating this folder on system drive? Is there another setting somewhere that needs checking?
Thanks
Vince
Re: Render file folder (March 19, 2010 02:33PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Vince,

The very first time that you launch FCP, it's builds those folders on your boot drive. We all have them.

At some point, maybe after you trashed Prefs, the FCP render feature got pointed back to the render folder on your boot drive. This probably happened in the past.

In the FCP System Prefs , set the scratch disk settings to your external drive. This is the only place that you can set the scratch disk.

--ken
Re: Render file folder (March 19, 2010 02:42PM) Vince
Thanks Ken,
If I trash the prefs on my friend's computer and then reset the scratch disk to the external drive would that fix the issue?
Cheers,

Vince
Re: Render file folder (March 19, 2010 03:05PM) Ken Stone Admin
Yes, but you don't have to trash the prefs to do this. Just open the FCP System Settings and reset the scratch disk.

--ken
Re: Render file folder (March 19, 2010 04:19PM) Vince
Ok, thanks Ken.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login