field dominance none for 29.97?

field dominance none for 29.97? (April 12, 2011 10:37AM) Harry Hanbury
I just shot a bunch of stuff with my Canon 60D, got it all into FCP and now see that it all has a field dominance of "none." It's Apple ProRes 422, 1920x1080, 60i. I always thought that the fact that it was interlaced meant one field had to be dominant. Should I change the footage to make one field dominant? Thanks!

Harry
Re: field dominance none for 29.97? (April 12, 2011 12:33PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Harry,

Doesn't that camera shoot Progressive and if it does, then L&T at 1920 x 1080 60i would be incorrect. You would want 1920 x 1080 60P.

I think I have this right.

Anyone else?

--ken
Re: field dominance none for 29.97? (April 12, 2011 12:37PM) Kent
I have a 5D & a 7D and I would assume that the 60D is the same. You are right Ken they shoot progressive.

Kent
Re: field dominance none for 29.97? (April 12, 2011 02:46PM) Harry Hanbury
Thanks Ken & Kent,
I haven't actually used log and transfer, but have been using MPEG-Streamclip to convert them to ProRes 422. I think maybe what's happening is that I've failed to enter a frame rate into the box in MPEG Streamclip where one would designate that. For all of the footage I've captured in this way, the "Vid Rate" column in my FCP browser says "29.97." Doesn't that mean that it's interlaced? Did I just accidentally convert all of my progressive footage to interlaced?

It all looks fine, and I've captured maybe 60% of all the footage I'll need for this project. (Maybe 4 hours total.) If you were in my situation, would you just keep capturing stuff this way? Or could I run into some kind of trouble down the road? Is there a problem with having a field dominance of "none" in interlaced footage? Should I recapture (at a cost a day+ of processing time) all of the footage as progressive?

Thanks!
Harry
Re: field dominance none for 29.97? (April 12, 2011 03:07PM) Ken Stone Admin
Harry,

Frame rate has nothing to do with Progressive/Interlaced.

You picked the wrong version of ProRes.

--ken
Re: field dominance none for 29.97? (April 13, 2011 06:10AM) Kent
Harry;
I use MPEG as well but I only transcode what I am going to use plus 3 second tails on each end. My workflow is to input everything into folders in the Finder, then I input into Aperture as reference files. Aperture will playback H.264 and allow you to trim and delete files as needed. The files that I am going to use in FC are than transcoded via MPEG and imported into FC. I also make backups of the Finder files and store them on another external drive. H.264 files are much smaller than ProRes 422. No need to transcode what you will not immediately need and Aperture allows cataloging and viewing clips and stills a snap.
Works for me
Kent
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login