XDCAM

XDCAM (May 07, 2011 07:20AM) joce
Hello everyone!
It's been a long time since I posted here...too much work I guess

Anyway, I have the following question, which might be something that has already been answered somewhere, sometime, but in the quick search I did I found nothing...

Working on a new TV live project, the client wants all videos from the editing room to be exported in MXF (to go to a server for playout).

Anyone have any ideas how this is possible?

I read around and I found that the only way to export MXF is through this SONY plug in XDCAM Trasnfer Software, which you can get free from sony's site. Yet I cant get it. Not sure why, but Sony keeps asking for login after a few clicks, and I cant register without an american address (?).

I also need to import MXF files (from an xdcam) but I guess that if I find some software or something that exports it, that solves the import problem as well?

thanks a lot in advance and sorry for annoying you

joce

PS I am working on a Mac OSX 10.6.7, 3.33 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 10 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3
Re: XDCAM (May 07, 2011 07:43AM) Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM (May 07, 2011 07:51AM) Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM (May 07, 2011 10:23AM) joce
Thanks a lot Craig for the reply.

The problem I am having is that I can't seem to download from sony's site, and I can't understand why...

I will try again but any other suggestions, if I can't get the sony software?

thanks again
Re: XDCAM (May 07, 2011 11:23AM) joce
Hi there again

I managed to download only the Log & Transfer plugin. I am guessing that this is not enough for anything... I really dont understand why sony says it has free downloads, and then adds a login, that one can't log into unless the are in the states...

joce
Re: XDCAM (May 07, 2011 11:38AM) Craig Seeman
joce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi there again
>
> I managed to download only the Log & Transfer
> plugin. I am guessing that this is not enough for
> anything... I really dont understand why sony says
> it has free downloads, and then adds a login, that
> one can't log into unless the are in the
> states...
>
> joce

You can create a login but generally Sony wants you to use the Pro site for the region you bought the camera in. You can register at multiple sites. I'm also registered on the Canada, UK, EU sites because the USA site can be weeks behind on their software updates. Find the site in your country/region though. I'd help but I have no idea where you're located.
Re: XDCAM (May 07, 2011 07:27PM) joce
Hi there Craig & Francois and thanks for the help.

I am in Greece, and the greek site does not have the downloads. I will try and register at another european site...

Francois, I tried your link but it keeps failing to load the page. And I saw that the pro.sony.com site is down for maintenance too!! My luck is unbelievable.

The best thing is that Monday afternoon we are going live!

I will keep trying, if anyone comes up with a different plan I would much appreciate it.

once again, I salute the fcp/ken stone community.

joce
Re: XDCAM (May 07, 2011 01:46PM) Francois Quebec
Re: XDCAM (May 07, 2011 11:46PM) joce
Ok, I managed to download the XDCAM Transfer. Wow! Now I am trying to export to IMX50, and it works fine but it only exports 30 seconds. This seems to imply that it is a demo version?

Any ideas on this?

I looked through the manual, and I dont see anything to explain why only 30 seconds are exported..

I tried exporting to XDCAM EX as well, and the same story there...

thanks again
Re: XDCAM (May 08, 2011 03:22AM) Craig Seeman
Did you read the PDF I linked to? It explains export.
If you're looking at IMX50 your somewhere else. Sony's FCP export is only XDCAM and XDCAM EX codecs.
Re: XDCAM (May 08, 2011 06:56AM) joce
Hi there Craig and thanks

I did read the pdf and I figured out the export, but only after I had managed to download all the sony plugins, which took some time. I think I am ok now with exporting in MXF (and there is in fact an option for IMX30 (not 50), which is the format that the client wants the finished project in.

The only issue I have now is that I am unable to write directly to an XDCAM (either the PDW-1500 or the PDW-U1), and I cant find the way. But I will keep trying.

thanks everyone for your much appreciated help

joce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login