Cloud file backup

Cloud file backup (May 15, 2011 12:25AM) Kent
Has anyone got experience backing up to a cloud. A company called Carbonite allows unlimited backup @ $59.00 / year.

I am considering using it as an additional layer of protection. The price is attractive.

Enjoy
Kent
Re: Cloud file backup (May 15, 2011 06:36AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Kent,

No way I would trust the cloud with my valuable information. Look what just happened to Sony.

Using the cloud can also be slow. If they go out of business or the server goes down, your 'out of luck'. Servers can also be hacked. I think I would put the $59.00 towards a good quality hard drive and do the backup locally.

This is what I do. I have two SuperDuper backups.

My 2 cents.

--ken
Re: Cloud file backup (May 15, 2011 07:49AM) David Harbsmeier
While Ken is right about cloud-cased backups being slow, I have to disagree with him on one point; it isn't really a "true backup" unless it's off-site. I don't care how many hard drives you've backed up to, if they are all on the same premises, how are you going to access your backups in case of fire, flood, theft, lightening strikes, tornado, hurricane or any other calamity?

One alternative to cloud-based backups is Blu-ray. Of course, you'll need a Blu-ray burner and rewritable discs (BD-RE) and it helps if you have a safe deposit box at a nearby bank. Blu-ray discs are available in 25gb (single layer) or 50gb (dual layer). You'll also need a backup application that can make sequential backups. That will save time since it only backs up files that have been modified since the last backup (based on date modified and file size). Unmodified files just don't get overwritten and that's what saves a lot of time.

Once you've made the first backup, place the disc(s) in your safe deposit box at the bank. I have one set of discs here and one set at the bank, then swap them out every week so the set at the bank is never more that a week old. The set here at my location gets backed up daily and then goes to the bank on Friday.

Like Ken, I also keep backups on local hard drives as well. As long as no major calamity happens, I can just use those if I need to retrieve lost data.

-DH
Re: Cloud file backup (May 15, 2011 07:54AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi David,

I did say that I make two SuperDuper HD clones. One is kept off site. (most often) (g)

I agree that Blu-ray would make a good backup.

--ken
Re: Cloud file backup (May 15, 2011 12:00PM) Kent
Thanks Ken & David;
Expert common sense advise.
David you mentioned "a backup application that can make sequential backups". What application do you use? I work on a Mac.

Enjoy
Kent
Re: Cloud file backup (May 15, 2011 12:18PM) David Harbsmeier
Re: Cloud file backup (May 15, 2011 12:21PM) Ken Stone Admin
Kent,

For back up to hard drives, I like SuperDuper. The basic program is free but you pay a few bucks for the 'Smart Backup' or sequential backups feature.

I have been using SuperDuper for many years. It really works as advertised.

--ken

Re: Cloud file backup (May 15, 2011 12:37PM) Kent
That was quick. Sunday we are not supposed to be doing work related chores.

Thanks again for the great advise. I'll give them both a try.
Kent
Re: Cloud file backup (May 15, 2011 01:36PM) Ken Stone Admin
If you are self-employed, every day is a work day.

--ken
Re: Cloud file backup (May 15, 2011 09:52PM) David Harbsmeier
Re: Cloud file backup (May 20, 2011 01:10AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login