Problem syncing Zoom H4N audio with canon 7D audio STILL !

Problem syncing Zoom H4N audio with canon 7D audio STILL ! (October 03, 2011 12:50PM) Willpower
A follow on from a discussion I started a few days ago.
The problem was that the Audio from the Zoom H4N was not syncing in FCP 7.0.3.
It showed a sync through a waveform match but when watching the clip that audio is clearly not synced.
I was advised to record at 48 Htz on the Zoom instead of 44.1.
So I shot another 3 camera shoot yesterday and had the Zoom set to 48 Htz.
I have the tracks all synced up using PluralEyes.
I play the sequence and it is still out of sync.

I tried the same project in Premiere Pro from scratch with pluraleyes again and it works fine.
Its such a shame to have to leave FCP as I know it well and now have to learn a new suite from scratch :(
Can anyone else help with this issue?
Re: Problem syncing Zoom H4N audio with canon 7D audio STILL ! (October 03, 2011 01:02PM) Willpower
PS. Here's a screenshot of the sequence and the file used to set the sequence settings. Maybe it is something to do with the fact that the sequence wont change to 16 bit even after I drag the 16 bit file in to set the sequence. ??
Re: Problem syncing Zoom H4N audio with canon 7D audio STILL ! (October 03, 2011 07:21PM) Joe Redifer
How did it get to 32-bit floating point in the first place? Before you drop ANYTHING in the timeline, change that back to 16-bit by right clicking on the sequence and choosing "settings".
Re: Problem syncing Zoom H4N audio with canon 7D audio STILL ! (October 03, 2011 07:26PM) Willpower
I did think of that. But I only have options of 16 bit 8 bit and 24 bit.
Re: Problem syncing Zoom H4N audio with canon 7D audio STILL ! (October 03, 2011 09:14PM) Joe Redifer
Good, choose 16-bit. Then drop your video and then audio in and see if it all works out,
Re: Problem syncing Zoom H4N audio with canon 7D audio STILL ! (October 04, 2011 08:22AM) Willpower
I tried that. The 32 bit setting stays like that even after I adjust it in settings.
Re: Problem syncing Zoom H4N audio with canon 7D audio STILL ! (October 04, 2011 12:45PM) Joe Redifer
Delete your Final Cut Pro preferences. It should not be doing that.
Re: Problem syncing Zoom H4N audio with canon 7D audio STILL ! (October 06, 2011 11:24AM) Willpower
I trashed my preferences and I am still unable to change the 32 bit to 16 bit in the timeline. I see on a creative cow forum post that it is not possible to change that.

After more research I have found this.

Final Cut pro 7.0.3 has a problem in that it that audio waveforms look perfectly matchd but the sound is not matched when played.

Final Cut Pro X is even worse. I sync the clips with a clap board mark at the start and the visual waveform representation and the sound are dramatically out of sync within a few seconds !

Adobe Premire pro seems to have no trouble.

I tired sending my sequence from FP 7.0.3 to Soundtrack pro, saving as a AIF file and then back to FCP. This WORKS.
But this is no way to work when working with the new FCPX.

Please let me know any experience you have with these 2 popular devices and FCP working together.
Re: Problem syncing Zoom H4N audio with canon 7D audio STILL ! (October 06, 2011 09:40PM) Joe Redifer
This is one of the many, many reasons why NTSC is the world's best video format! (J/K).
Re: Problem syncing Zoom H4N audio with canon 7D audio STILL ! (October 06, 2011 01:05PM) Willpower
Follow up.

Seems to only happen in Pal format.

The 1 test I did in NTSC worked ok
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login