Can Final Cut X import AVCHD

Can Final Cut X import AVCHD (December 21, 2011 03:52AM) cynluv
hello,

I was wondering in Final Cut X can import AVCHD footage without doing conversions or using plugins, etc. I am using Final Cut Studio 7 and was wondering is there any benifit to using FCP 10 in this regard....Thanks.

Cynthia

Re: Can Final Cut X import AVCHD (December 21, 2011 04:14AM) steve douglas
It depends upon what type of files your AVCHD cam produces. All AVCHD cams are not equal. If they produce MTS files you will need an app like ClipWrap so as to convert them to a Quick Time envelope.
X is considerably faster than 7 with a far superior media management protocol. However, most 3rd party plugins for 7 have not been updated for X but they are all working on it and eventually they will be available. There is a different lexicon used for X than 7 and obviously a different GUI and workflow. However, if you already have experience with 7, once you learn the basics for X, the rest of the learning curve speeds up quickly and is fairly intuitive. My opinion.
Steve
Re: Can Final Cut X import AVCHD (December 21, 2011 03:41PM) Craig Seeman
Steve, I've been importing AVCHD from Canon Vixia. The BDMV folders contain .mts. I import and edit these in FCPX. No need for any other utility or plugin. It works natively as long as the BDMV folder is intact.
Re: Can Final Cut X import AVCHD (December 22, 2011 03:12AM) steve douglas
Interesting, the one time I tried to import MTS files, about a month ago, from someone's JVC cam, they would not import. But in truth, I don't recall whether I tried in 7 or X at the time.
Steve
Re: Can Final Cut X import AVCHD (December 22, 2011 03:27AM) Craig Seeman
Now if it only handled XDCAM EX as easily but that's in Sony's hands. FCPX has an API for camera manufacturers to develop plugins specific to their codecs. Sony says they're working on it.

AVCHD support though has been FCPX major feature . . . as long as you have the complete folder. It's one thing that blows it well past FCS for fast turnaround. I've even used H.264 .mp4 directly.
Re: Can Final Cut X import AVCHD (December 22, 2011 07:18AM) ronny courtens
I can only confirm what Craig says. MTS seems to work perfectly with FCP10. So does H.264, which my system handles natively. For EX I use the Sony XDCAM utility and convert to ProRes prior to import.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Can Final Cut X import AVCHD (December 22, 2011 08:01AM) steve douglas
Ronny,
When importing H.264 to X, don't you 'optimize' the footage as you import?
Steve
Re: Can Final Cut X import AVCHD (December 22, 2011 08:36AM) Craig Seeman
steve douglas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ronny,
> When importing H.264 to X, don't you 'optimize'
> the footage as you import?
> Steve

In my case I don't if I'm using my 8 Core Mac Pro. I haven't had any issues but I'm not doing heavy compositing. I'd suspect an i7 Quad Core MBP or iMac would handle this well also. A MBA or Mini might be a different story though.
Re: Can Final Cut X import AVCHD (December 22, 2011 08:29PM) ronny courtens
Hi Steve,

Like Craig I don't optimize H.264 because it runs perfectly in realtime on any decent MacPro with FCP10 as long as you keep your edit relatively simple. It runs even better on the i7 iMacs I use with the Thunderbolt Promise RAIDS.

I never do serious compositing on any highly compressed native media like H.264, AVCHD and the likes. Most of the misunderstandings about working with these formats derive from the lack of knowledge people have about how these formats are encoded. For straightforward editing (cuts and easy transitions) H.264 etc. will do fine on any decent computer with FCP10. But once you get into heavy compositing or effects work, working natively with such formats will put a very high strain on your system, which has nothing to do with your editing application, and the final quality will also quickly degrade because these formats do not withstand multiple re-encoding very well.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Can Final Cut X import AVCHD (December 23, 2011 03:30AM) steve douglas
Hey Ronny,
Thanks for the explanation. Since I have recently started working with footage off the Canon 7D which is H.264, I did import with optimization. My Mac Pro is a 12 core, 20 gigs ram and an NVIDIA FX4800 card so there is ample power. One thing however, is what is your definition of heavy compositing. Do you define it as simply adding text or CC or multiple filters and composite modes. I guess it is that definition for yourself that determines whether you work with those files natively or not.
By the way, have a great Holiday season.
Steve
Re: Can Final Cut X import AVCHD (December 23, 2011 05:36AM) ronny courtens
Hi Steve,

Text, color correction ans simple transitions are straightforward editing processes. With heavy compositing I mean multiple keyed or composited layers, effects that involve blurs, glows and lights, and motion graphics. Especially when you have multiple conversions you will notice that native H.264 media start degrading quite quickly whereas high-end formats such as AVC100 converted to ProRes maintain their original quality even after multiple passes. Stacked composited layers are also very taxing on your system. But with the kind of hardware you have you can go a very long way my friend.

Have a great Holiday season yourself. I will be working because this is a very busy season for us. No rest for the wicked ((-:

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login