New version of FCP X

New version of FCP X (January 31, 2012 01:55AM) jlcinc
Re: New version of FCP X (January 31, 2012 04:35AM) steve douglas
It burns me that you need to have Lion installed before you can use an in/out broadcasting device. Never the less, lets hope this version has all the improvements we were hoping for.
Steve
Re: New version of FCP X (January 31, 2012 05:30AM) MichaelPS
Seriously? I need to buy Lion to have broadcast monitoring?
Re: New version of FCP X (January 31, 2012 06:36AM) steve douglas
Just finished the Lion download. Took about an hour and a half.
Steve
Re: New version of FCP X (January 31, 2012 12:42PM) Joe Redifer
Yes, because only Lion is powerful enough to allow for broadcast monitoring. There's absolutely no reason Snow Leopard couldn't do it. Apple just wants to to "upgrade" to the new OS. I can't do that because I rely on PPC stuff and Apple chose not to allow Rosetta to even run for whatever stupid reason, not even as a stand-alone option. Lion is therefore broken for me. There are no Intel equivalents of some of the programs I want to run and maintaining multiple OS's just for a couple of programs is a waste of space. Come on, Apple, make a stand alone Rosetta app that can run in the background. I'll even pay $5 or $10 for it. Make it!

Re: New version of FCP X (January 31, 2012 07:09PM) Craig Seeman
It has noting to do with "powerful"
FCXP using CoreMediaIO for Broadcast Monitoring which is only available in Lion OS. Drivers must be CoreMediaIO based whereas previous versions were Quicktime based, hence worked in Snow Leopard.
Re: New version of FCP X (January 31, 2012 01:09PM) David Harbsmeier
>>because only Lion is powerful enough to allow for broadcast monitoring<<

Funny, that. My old G4 running OS 9 with FCP 2 has been doing that for over 10 years. I suppose that's Apple way of defining progress.

-DH
Re: New version of FCP X (January 31, 2012 09:27PM) Joe Redifer
This version still seems to have a lot of bugs.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was user error.

Re: New version of FCP X (January 31, 2012 10:56PM) ronny courtens
Hi Joe,

I will say this once and never again: FCPX has NO bugs. Nor does FCP7 or any other software have bugs. If something does not work as expected it is always YOUR fault. LOL.

All jokes aside: if you are serious that this update still has "a lot of" bugs, please be so kind to report the ones you have found so we can have a look at them.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: New version of FCP X (February 01, 2012 05:47AM) Joe Redifer
Well it had to do with letting me render, but I'm pretty sure I must have accidentally selected a clip in the BIN or whatever it is called now and had it analyize for optical flow. I kept trying to render something on the timeline and it would not, or when I would select RENDER it would render one percentage point and then stopped. It worked OK once I pressed Command+9 and stopped the background optical flow analysis.
Re: New version of FCP X (February 01, 2012 06:27AM) ronny courtens
You are right this was a bug and I really cannot tell if it's gone now. We will have to wait until more people start working with the new version and post their findings. So far I'm quite happy with it.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: New version of FCP X (February 01, 2012 10:48AM) Joe Redifer
Now I'm getting a "Start & stop" result with optical flow. The example I am testing is 23.98fps 480p footage shot with a Canon XL2 slowed down to 4%. It moves. Stops. Then moves again. Stops. Last night I was able to slow down dome DVX100 23.98fps 480p footage to 4% and it moved very, very smoothly.
Re: New version of FCP X (February 01, 2012 11:26AM) Joe Redifer
Oh, and the Transform options seem broken. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I have my clip selected in the timeline with the yellow line around it with the playback head inside clip so that a frame shows in the viewer. I go to Transform in the inspector and none of the options work. Mess with the scale and it will not move. Other clips from the same source work fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login