7 to X?

7 to X? (February 07, 2012 04:10AM) Videot
Re: 7 to X? (February 07, 2012 05:32AM) ronny courtens
Hi Mike,

I have it, I have tried it and yes it is cheap and it works extremely well. But to be honest I haven't had any real need yet to transfer FCP7 projects to FCP10 nor vice-versa. Much of our video work is done in FCP10 now and if we have to re-edit FCP7 projects we do this on our older systems that have FCS3. I think the whole "Oh I can't open my FCP7 projects in X" rant has been another storm in a glass of water. Maybe that's why you don't hear anything about this anymore now that it is possible ((-:

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: 7 to X? (February 07, 2012 10:59AM) Joe Redifer
To me I think it would work best as a learning tool. One is familiar with how he/she assembles things in FCP 7. Use this app and see how the same thing is handled in X. It should be 100% free, though.
Re: 7 to X? (February 07, 2012 11:16AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Joe,

It's a third party app and Philip worked very long and hard on it. He does deserve to be paid for his work and the price is very reasonable.

My 2 cents.

--ken
Re: 7 to X? (February 07, 2012 07:13PM) ronny courtens
This app just translates FCP7 sequences to FCP10 projects. It is very handy for people who don't use legacy FCP anymore but who need to make adjustments to older FCP projects in FCP10 and I agree with Ken that if you need to do this the app is worth every cent you pay for it, and even much more.

Once the sequence is translated it becomes an FCP10 project and you deal with it as an FCP10 project. So translating an FCP sequence to FCP10 does not tell you anything about how things are handled differently between legacy FCP and X, and that's good. Because the worst thing you can do if you want to go ahead and seriously learn a new application or workflow is to constantly compare it with old workflows you are used to work with. Especially if the philosophy behind the new and the old ones is so completely different. In all the reports I have heard and read from people who have started using FCP10 there is one constant factor: you only start discovering its real power once you stop trying to make it work like old FCP. Once you make that mind switch you never go back. That's also been my experience, and the one of all the editors working with us.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: 7 to X? (February 08, 2012 12:07PM) Joe Redifer
My point is that it shouldn't need to be a 3rd party app. Apple should have had this ability in X from the get-go. There is absolutely no excuse for them not to include this feature. They should buy this program from the author and include it in all versions of X henceforth. Apple is a bunch of idiots.
Re: 7 to X? (February 09, 2012 08:38AM) steve douglas
Hey Joe,
Yep, you're correct on so many points since X was released but it really is time to either switch NLEs and stop the belly aching, or see the good in X and recognize that Apple, as shown with the recent update, is trying to make good on its application. As Ronny said, once you get your head around the new concept and workflow, which really didn't take me long, then you can see all the good stuff about it. We've heard all the rants, I made some myself last year but that time is past and has quickly become redundant.
Steve
Re: 7 to X? (February 09, 2012 07:22PM) Joe Redifer
You're right. All hail Apple. Drink the Kool Aid. If people don't complain, they won't fix it and it's pretty sad that they need to rely on 3rd parties like this. Sorry if it's getting old. I'm sure X will be the bees knees someday but until then I will call it as I see it without shame.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login