jpg image quality loss in HD timeline, suggestions please

jpg image quality loss in HD timeline, suggestions please (March 11, 2012 01:21AM) Ron
Hi everyone.... I think this topic was address previously but I can't find it in the archives. If I use jpg still shots in a standard definition timeline (DV) they look great. But just now I inserted a jpg still shot from my digital camera in my HD time line (xdcam hd format) and the image quality is reduced significantly... it is a much softer image and perhaps somewhat pixilated.
Any suggestions? kindest regards..... Ron
Re: jpg image quality loss in HD timeline, suggestions please (March 11, 2012 09:44AM) Ron
Hi again.... further to what I said above, I just did another test.... it seems all my jpeg images from my digital camera that I import into final cut pro 7 show up as poor quality on all my timelines regardless of sequence settings. The only difference from what I did before is that I am using my new iMac instead of my older MacPro. I need to have good looking jpeg images in amongst my video. Thanks for any suggestions.... Ron
Re: jpg image quality loss in HD timeline, suggestions please (March 11, 2012 12:10PM) Joe Redifer
Do they still look bad after rendering? They will absolutely need to be rendered in order to see them at their full level of quality.
Re: jpg image quality loss in HD timeline, suggestions please (March 11, 2012 12:23PM) Ron
Hi Joe.... thanks for the reply. Yes the jpegs are still of lower quality after rendering..... I notice that in the viewer the jpeg is crystal clear, but after placing it on the timeline and viewing it on the canvas after rendering, the image has deteriorated. Using final cut pro 7 on my new iMac. I don't remember this problem when using FCP7 on my older macpro..... any other suggestions appreciated..... Ron
Re: jpg image quality loss in HD timeline, suggestions please (March 11, 2012 12:40PM) Ken Stone Admin
After render, set your Canvas to 100% size, how do they look?

What are your sequence settings and what size are the Jpegs (dimensions)?

--ken
Re: jpg image quality loss in HD timeline, suggestions please (March 11, 2012 04:31PM) Ron
Hi Ken... thanks for your reply.

Well when I set the canvas to 100% and get my face up to the monitor and look real close, the jpeg actually looks quite good. The sequence settings match my xdcam hd footage; 1440x1080 (16x9); upper odd. The jpeg size is 4.7 mb and dimensions 3872x2592 with square pixel aspect.

The jpeg still image is rendered over a video shot. It looks poor when I view the video running full screen on my 27" iMac. (I check off digital cinema desktop preview, and all frames) I think it also looks poor in the canvas, but it's a bit small to tell for sure.

So maybe once I go the final step of making the DVD, the jpeg will look fine.... is there something about viewing full screen on the iMac that is not giving me a true indication of picture quality? When I am not using final cut, the jpeg by itself on the iMac looks superb when I click on it and view it simply as a digital image as part of iPhoto.

Just as an side, I have to commend especially you and many others on this website who are so willing to help so many people with all kinds of editing problems. I don't know how you find time to make a living and still keep an eye on this website and take time to provide support and guidance for so many others. For me, I check this website daily.... When I turn on my computer I first check emails, then the local weather radar website and then this website is number three. Personally I live in a rather remote location and have learned all my video skills, including camera work, editing, making DVDs and everything else all by trial and error. So this website with its wealth of information, especially the tutorials, has been a great asset to me and I hope others appreciate your continuing efforts.

I am still having some issues with making DVDs and Bluray from my HD timelines, and I think you have some guidance on those topics as well.... could you forward those links again. I am embarrased to state this in public but for a long time I made my DVDs by playing the sequence out through a fire wire to a stand alone DVD recorder.... it works, but not the best scenario. I know the proper way is to go to compressor and then DVD studio pro and then burn a master DVD within the Mac. So could you forward those links on your website that deal with the proper steps that I need to follow for DVD creation.... I need a refresher course!

Anyhow, once I finish editing this project, I will see how the jpeg looks once I get it over to a DVD and play it back in our living room consumer DVD player and big screen TV. I will keep you posted.

Thanks again for taking time to help out..... kindest regards...... Ron
Re: jpg image quality loss in HD timeline, suggestions please (March 11, 2012 06:25PM) Alexander
Re: jpg image quality loss in HD timeline, suggestions please (March 12, 2012 01:15AM) Ron
Hi Alexander.... of course you are right..... I neglected to mention earlier that I do have Toast 11 for Bluray..... I've used it a couple of times and it seems to work well for mastering a bluray. Ron
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login