Canon EOS 5D mark ii vs. Panasonic AG-AF100

Canon EOS 5D mark ii vs. Panasonic AG-AF100 (March 19, 2012 09:48AM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

I was wondering if you or your readers could offer me some input on DSLR vs. true videocamcorder. My criterion is being able to use interchangeable lenses and achieve shallow depth of field. I have tested both the Canon EOS 5D mark ii using a 25mm. lens and the Panasonic AG-AF100 with a 25mm Voightlander lens. I am also concerned about the AVCHD codec and how well it holds up after transcoding to Apple ProRes 422. I've shot a lot with the HVX-200a and love Panasonic features (variable speeds, sychro scan, gamma settings).The XLR inputs are very important as well. I'd rather not get into shooting double system audio which I would have to do with the 5D. Of course, there is also the overheating, rolling shutter and the moire issues with the 5D. So it looks like I'm leaning toward the AF100. In addition to shooting short dramatic films, I mainly shoot interviews and event videos in lowlight settings such as churches and auditoriums with existing low light. Eventually, I would have to pick up a zoom lens such as the Lumix 14-140 mm.

If anybody can give me some input with their camparative experiences with either of these cameras, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Canon EOS 5D mark ii vs. Panasonic AG-AF100 (March 19, 2012 11:35AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Phil,

For me there is a big difference between to look of DSLR and video cameras, and I'm not crazy about the H.264 that comes off DSLRs. It's almost too sharp, looks like a bunch of stills strung together, which is what it is. I like video with a bit more of a flimic look (or what ever you want to call it.) I do like XDCAM EX codec, next AVCHD. My all time favorite is DVCPRO HD.

With a DSLR you'll have to use dual-audio recording, something I'm also not crazy about. As far as ergonomics goes, again I prefer a video camera rather than a DSLR. And video cameras have more controls and features. You also pointed out some important shortcomings associated with DSLRs and I too think that these are important issues as well.

You do know that I'm not a videographer, I work with video after its been shot.

There are many people who do like DSLR video and are successful with it.

So this is just my 'unqualified' opinion.

--ken
Re: Canon EOS 5D mark ii vs. Panasonic AG-AF100 (March 19, 2012 12:14PM) philsfilm
Thanks for the input, Ken. I should mention that I shot tests with the HPX-250 in the AVC Intra codec (10 bit 4:2:2 at 100mbps) as well. It was a bit cleaner and crisper than my HVX-200a DVCPROHD but not light years. Also, the HPX-250 has a nice servo 22X zoom. The AF100 can give you 4:2:2 8 bit color space if you use a Nanoflash external recorder. Otherwise, it's 4:2:0 8 bit. What I'm really attracted to with the AF100 is the option of different lenses on a reasonably priced video camera. Canon has just come out with the C-300 which has many of these features plus a really high ISO setting for low light.

Ken, have you worked with footage shot with the AF-100?
Re: Canon EOS 5D mark ii vs. Panasonic AG-AF100 (March 19, 2012 12:54PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Phil,

Nope, I haven't worked with any AF-100 footage.

The difference between DSLRs and a video cameras is in the eye of the beholder.

Everyone has a different take on this.

--ken
Re: Canon EOS 5D mark ii vs. Panasonic AG-AF100 (March 19, 2012 12:33PM) Joe Redifer
Re: Canon EOS 5D mark ii vs. Panasonic AG-AF100 (March 20, 2012 04:14AM) J.P.
I think today a majority of HD camcorders are full1920x1080. I saw Act of Valor last week of which 70% of it was shot with multiple Canon 5Ds. They used a device called Dark Energy which is an image optimization and conversion/correction software program that pulls all the 5D compression off the footage and layers on the look of 35mm film grain. Quite impressive. I initially went to see how the 5D held up on a big screen, but after 5 minutes I got totally sucked in to the film. The hostage rescue scene in which the 3 swcc boats pick up the Seals and hostage with 3 mini guns blazing away was alone worth the price of the ticket. All was real live fire, no blanks.
Re: Canon EOS 5D mark ii vs. Panasonic AG-AF100 (March 20, 2012 04:34AM) philsfilm
Also, the horror film, "Silent House", was shot 100% with the 5D. All very low light, hand-held (or probably shoulder mount), 10 minute takes. But for the guy who is the "one-man band" doing it all by himself including sound recording, I'm wondering if the AF100 is the way to go.
Re: Canon EOS 5D mark ii vs. Panasonic AG-AF100 (March 20, 2012 05:39AM) philsfilm
On other question about the Canon 5D: how do you deal with the lack of timecode imprinting in the camera?
Re: Canon EOS 5D mark ii vs. Panasonic AG-AF100 (March 20, 2012 06:04AM) Joe Redifer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login