Motion 4 suddenly quits HELP

Motion 4 suddenly quits HELP (May 19, 2012 07:12PM) Vince
Re: Motion 4 suddenly quits HELP (May 20, 2012 08:45PM) ronny courtens
Hi Vince,

You system log reports a sigbus with kernel protection failure. This can either be hardware (RAM) or OS related. So first check if all your RAM is active and working. My guess is that will not be the problem, but check this first.

Most of the times such an exception error can be solved by simply reinstalling the OS from your install disks. In most cases just an overwrite (not erase and reinstall) will do the trick. Then you do an OS update (use the combo updates on the Apple Support site) until your OS is at the latest version.

If this does not work you will have to start your computer from your install disks while holding the "D" key to do a hardware check. But as I said it does not look like a hardware failure. If it is, post back so we can help you further.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Motion 4 suddenly quits HELP (May 22, 2012 02:50PM) Vince
Hi Ronny,

Thank you kindly for your response. I have followed your directions and found no problem with RAM, re installed OS and updated but I did not do hardware check as I could not get AHT to launch from both original disks that came with my MacBook Pro or my Snow Leopard upgrade disks....strange. Motion still quits. Do you think re installing Motion would help?

If you have any more suggestions I would appreciate it, otherwise I think a trip to the Genius Bar is in order.

Fortunately, I am able to use Motion on my iMac so I can finish the job.

Thanks again Ronny :)

Vince
Re: Motion 4 suddenly quits HELP (May 23, 2012 09:21AM) ronny courtens
Hi Vince,

At this point it is indeed best to completely uninstall and reinstall Motion. To uninstall Motion; use a dedicated uninstaller such as AppDelete (free) to make sure you are uninstalling all Motion components. The reinstall from the disks and do a Repair Permissions. Then shut down your computer, start it again and launch Motion.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Motion 4 suddenly quits HELP (May 25, 2012 06:27PM) Vince
Hey Ronny,

I have performed all the tasks and it did not solve the issue :(

Thank you for all your kind support. I think it's time to go to Apple for this one.

Cheers mate.

Vince
Re: Motion 4 suddenly quits HELP (May 25, 2012 06:35PM) ronny courtens
If none of the above has helped you must be having a hardware issue. I agree it's time to bring this problem to Apple.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Motion 4 suddenly quits HELP (May 29, 2012 10:44AM) Vince
Hey Ronny,

Final note on this issue. The Apple geniuses could not solve the issue, we spent almost 2 hours and 3 geniuses and they finally suggested a complete disk erase and install piece by piece to identify the offending file or program....Yeah, right! I cannot afford to spend another day or more on this for a no guarantee fix.

Anyway, I purchased Motion 5 and it works, albeit slow, but I knocked down my screen res and it speeds up a little. Definitely not as fast as Motion 4 so it is screaming for a newer computer. Not yet. Can't round trip with it :(

Thank you Ronny for seeing me through this ordeal, you are very kind.

Cheers,

Vince
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login