HD wedding video on a USB Flash Drive..??

HD wedding video on a USB Flash Drive..?? (January 02, 2013 04:58AM) studio2398
I want to deliver my wedding footage on a USB flash drive. I was under the impression that a MV4 (H 264 codec) would easily play from any USB port on a TV, cable box (so equipped) or multi media player. I am getting conflicting answers and results, does anyone here have any feedback for me?
Re: HD wedding video on a USB Flash Drive..?? (January 03, 2013 02:05AM) David Harbsmeier
Re: HD wedding video on a USB Flash Drive..?? (January 03, 2013 04:42AM) ronny courtens
David, just out of curiosity: is the .mp4 format not considered to be playable on every platform or device?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: HD wedding video on a USB Flash Drive..?? (January 03, 2013 06:09PM) Joe Redifer
The question should be "h.264 MP4" or something similar. I doubt MV4 is very universal because I've never even heard of it.

Re: HD wedding video on a USB Flash Drive..?? (January 03, 2013 06:46PM) ronny courtens
Hi Joe,

You are correct, I meant H.264 wrapped in the .mp4 container, my bad. We call this MPEG-4 for ease of use.

I was asking this because we jus finished 130 films for a client who wants to offer his 130 members (all not-for-profit organizations) a short film about their work on USB sticks. The whole thing is handled by an advertising agency and they have specifically asked to use H.264 MP4 as the final delivery format on the sticks because according to them this format can be played on any platform and any hardware without any problems.

MV4 is just a common name for M4V, which is the proper term. In fact it's just H.264 wrapped in a .mov container. It used to be a proprietary format to Apple's iTunes, similar to MP4 but with DRM protection and AC3 audio. Nowadays it plays on any platform and most media players.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: HD wedding video on a USB Flash Drive..?? (January 06, 2013 05:58AM) Gypaetus
There is an other problem which might occur with HD: it depends also on the speed of the USB flash drives if you can seamlessly play back HD video directly from the device - and that includes also the amount of compression you are willing / you have to apply to the file.

In addition USB itself is not ideal for a continuous stream to play back, as we know already from DV (only Firewire HDs were used for editing, USB connections produced a stuttering unusable image).

Uncompressed HD even stutters played back from my (rather full..) internal HD; the full HD trailers from trailers.apple.com on the other hand run - and look - perfect, wonder which compressions they use...

LG
Re: HD wedding video on a USB Flash Drive..?? (January 09, 2013 09:32PM) MacVon
Hi, Buddy
You can try use a USB Android TV Stick to store the Video. And connect the stick to the digital TV.

Description
? OS:Android4.0
? HTML5: Support
? Files Manager:R E Manager
? Main Frequency:1.2 Ghz
? Core Type:TCC8925K 45nm
? Video Output:Standard HDMI Interface(HDMI 1.4)
? Power consumption:Main Unit + 2.4G sender(Mouse)?600mA@5V
? Memory(DDRIII):512M Byte(600Mhz)or 1G
? Nand Flash:Internal4G Nand Flash
? WiFi:IEEE 802.11 b/g/n(Internal USB Wifi Module)
? WPS:Wireless Provisioning Services
? USB Socket:Standard Micro -5PinUSBPort(OTG)
? USB Socket 2:USB A Type,Support 2.4G Mouse,Keyboard,Game.
? HDMI socket:Support HDMI(Mini-19Pin)
? Language:Support Multi Languages
? Input Method:Android Keyboard And 2.4G Mouse
? Audio format(Music Player):MP3/WMA/WAV/OGG/AAC/FLAC,etc
? Video format(Movie Player):MPEG2/4/H.264/WMV/MOV/RM/RMVB,etc
? Picture Viewer:Gallery
? Web Browser:Browser
? TFsupport TF card
? Game if Android: APK of Andriod
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login