NO DVD Studio Pro what now?

NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 18, 2013 01:31PM) kerry31
Hi, I been behind on my FCP X studies been stuck in Studio 2 for awhile now in my own little world. Recently I up graded one of my macs to Mt. Lion and quickly found out that FCP Studio 2 is no longer supported. ugh! So I'm looking to move on into FCP X here is my problem, I know I can get Compressor in the App store. But what would I use for DVD authoring? I know FCP X has simple authoring tools. But I do some pretty complex menus and things with DVDSP now. So if anyone has a idea or some other software please let me know.
Thanks ahead of time.
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 18, 2013 07:25PM) ronny courtens
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 18, 2013 10:26PM) kerry31
Thanks Ronny for the reply! So it sounds like there is no good replacement for DVDSP. So here is another quick question. Through FCP X can I put multiple things on one DVD? Say I'm making a TV Show and I want to put 5 shows on one DVD is that still posable?

See I have a video production company and my father has a public domain movie company that sales on Amazon eBay and his own site. Well he does a lot of Photoshop layer things and puts them in DVDSP I no he might not be able to do that if he ever moves on without keeping and old computer around. But he will have to be able to put multiple items on a DVD.

I don't know. I was hoping there was something to take the place of DVDSP I mean its like leaving one of my kids behind.
Thanks again for the help.
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 19, 2013 12:30AM) philsfilm
You raise a good point about Mt. Lion. Does it support FCP Studio 3 and FCP 7?
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 19, 2013 05:17AM) ronny courtens
FCS 3 and FCP7 install and run perfectly on Mountain Lion. Only FCS2 and earlier are a bit more difficult to install. When you already have FCS2 installed on an earlier OS and you update to Mountain Lion over this OS there is no problem at all.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 19, 2013 05:28AM) philsfilm
That's good to know, Ronny. I have FCP Studio 3 and FCP 7 and am preparing to try FCP X. But I have a couple of projects in FCP 7 that I want to continue with. I am using a terrific stabilizing app called CS Lock & Load which I hope will not be affected by Mt. Lion. As far as making DVDs, I would like to continue using DVDSP4. That is, output a self-contained QT movie from FCP X, use Compressor and then go to DVDSP4. Does that sound like a workable plan?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 19, 2013 05:43AM) ronny courtens
Phil,

That does sound like a very workable plan. You won't have any trouble using both FCS3 and FCP10 on the same ML machine. Many of us have done this while transitioning from one to the other. In FCP10 you share your edit as a Master file and you drop the file into DVDSP for authoring.

Lock and Load indeed works like a charm. Did you know it is available as a plugin for FCP10? It appears in the FCP10 Effects Browser and when you drop it on a clip you get on-screen controls in your Viewer to analyze and stabilize your footage. The Inspector offers many different options to tweak your stabilizing. And what's more: in FCP10 you don't need to render to view your stabilized clip.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 19, 2013 07:52AM) philsfilm
Very cool about Lock and Load, Ronny. It has saved my butt on many projects. Are you saying that it comes as part of FCPX or that I will have to purchase it again?

Phil
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 19, 2013 08:03AM) ronny courtens
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 19, 2013 10:26PM) philsfilm
Thanks for the info on the new Lock & Load, Ronny, but I guess I'm also asking if the one I do have and use with FCP 7 will work with FCP X or will I have to purchase it again? I understand that you say the new one is far improved but the one I bought last August cost me $150 and I'd prefer to not have to buy another right away if it will work with FCP X.

Phil
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 19, 2013 10:37PM) ronny courtens
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 19, 2013 11:10PM) philsfilm
Ronny,

I just checked and the version of L & L that I am running which I purchased last August for use with FCP7 is Lock & Load X.
The same one that you're talking about?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 19, 2013 11:18PM) ronny courtens
Yep that's the same. All you have to do is install FCP10.0.7 and re-install Lock&Load X. The stabilizer will appear in your FCPX Effects Browser as "C2 Lock & Load" (see attached screenshot).

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 20, 2013 12:43AM) philsfilm
You know, Ronny, I see it in my FCP 7 Effects Browser but don't see it in my Applications. Sorry to be a pain but where is it hiding on my HD? I even looked in Plug-ins & didn't see it. My Spotlight search didn't show it. In any case, I will write to Coremelt.

Thanks so much for all your valuable support and help.

Phil
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 20, 2013 01:12AM) ronny courtens
Phil,

Look in the Library > PLugins > Fxplug folder. Inside you will find the Lock & Load fxplug plugins.

If you also see a "Lock & Load FCP X.fxplug" icon in this folder this means the plugin has already been installed for FCPX as well. If you already have FCPX installed you can check if C2 Lock&Load is available in the Effects Browser.

If FCPX is not installed yet you will have to do this first, then run the original L&L installer you have received when you have purchased Lock&Load.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 20, 2013 01:57AM) philsfilm
Yup, there it is, Ronny. What I see is "Lock & Load X.fxplug" & "Lock & Load.fxplug" but no "Lock & Load FCP X.fxplug" icon. So that means I will have to purchase the new one because I'm assuming the one I have will not work in FCPX. I will write Coremelt re: getting a free upgrade.

Thanks so much,
Phil
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 20, 2013 02:17AM) ronny courtens
You have the "Lock & Load X.fcplug" in your folder, this means that the plugin you have purchased is for Lock & Load X and you won't have to purchase it again to use it in FCPX.

But as FCPX was not yet on your system when you installed the L&L plugin, the "Lock & Load FCP X.fxplug" file was not installed in your Library.

So the best thing to do is to contact CoreMelt. Because you already have a valid license for Lock & Load X my guess is that the only thing you will need to do is to install FCPX, then download the L&L installer from the Coremelt website again, run the installer and everything will be all-right.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (February 20, 2013 02:23AM) Craig Seeman
CoreMelt distributed a free update to Lock&LoadX for those who purchased it previously. Just download and install if memory serves me. It'll install the right things in the right places for FCPX.
Re: NO DVD Studio Pro what now? (March 09, 2013 12:40AM) Curtis
when i had to replace my video edit MacPro and upgraded to FCPX, i successfully installed DVDSP (nothing else) from the install discs of FCP7, went through the updates and it works fine.
i did upgrade to the latest and greatest Compressor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login