Final Cut project file won't open: General error 41 message (November 13, 2008 02:44PM) davelegacy
I've been schooled....my Final Cut Pro project will not open....a project that is extremely important to the client...and I
have not yet told them of my delima. I attempted to open the project file and after about 10% of loading suddenly a
message comes up, "General error 41". Can anyone tell me the bad news about this? Can there be good news?
Re: Final Cut project file won't open: General error 41 message (November 13, 2008 04:08PM) Ken Stone Admin
Do you have auto save vault turned on? If so, see if you can open a previous version?

Do you have any large still images in the project? How big is the project file?

--ken
Re: Final Cut project file won't open: General error 41 message (November 14, 2008 02:22AM) davelegacy
In my first attempts to open the project a box came up saying that 'firefighting.avi' needs to be
changed, use the media manager' or something like that....and then the 'general error 41' came up
This particular clip I recently got from aFootage Firm DVD, a free disc with some useful clips.
I liked one of the clips so I brought it into the project and actually slo-moed a couple of seconds of it.
That just may have been the culprit.

This project has many Motion files, mostly simple text, but one I did some heavy
effects with a video clip.....and as a matter of fact, now that I think of it..
I made a DVD of the timeline for client approval....and that particular
Motion file was missing media, (checker board pattern) which I noticed as I viewed the DVD.
Should I delete the Motion files too? Those I can recreate easyily enough.

I read the article on your site by Scott Barbour.....my media is all on a separate drive, so I've tried
to open the project without the media.... I deleted the render files and deleted the
stock footage clips (these were actually on the Mac hard drive)...with the same result,
general error 41. I looked in the auto save vault....apparently I've turned this preference
off a while ago...(I'll be turning it back on) the last saved project was from October.....it did open though.

I DID back up this project a while ago onto the separate drive...too long ago...it opens
normally but the edit is from weeks ago and doesn't contain all the hard work
I put into this just last week.

I will certainly build my routine now to include backing up after every session on the separate drive.

Do you know about these 'general errors'? Is there a Mac site or somthing
that has a list of them?
Re: Final Cut project file won't open: General error 41 message (November 14, 2008 12:05AM) sbeisen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login