nvidia, solid state drive Question

nvidia, solid state drive Question (February 27, 2009 05:09AM) cosioshi
hi Ken,

please tell me what is the truth with the NVIDIA and solid state card, does these help with the editing we're doing or this is something for a different matter?
I asked a friend and he said that the only thing that helps me is the RAM and the speed of the drives.
I checked the apple store on line and saw a new mac book pro with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory at the same price with a refurbished mac booc pro with solid state (an older mac book pro).

what is all this 8600M GT of GDDR3 memory help us with the editing?

thanks

cos
Re: nvidia, solid state drive Question (February 27, 2009 06:38AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Cos,

The deal with monitor cards is that an increasing number of applications are starting to use the monitor card rather than the CPU to do a big load of the rendering work and RT on screen playback. The RT playback ability of Motion comes from the monitor card, the Mac CPU does very little work.

As time goes by we can expect to see more apps (hopefully FCP) using the monitor card.

--ken
Re: nvidia, solid state drive Question (February 27, 2009 06:52PM) cosioshi
hi Ken,
thanks for shining some light
but is this solid state built within the computer or you can buy it and atach it later? I'm sure I don't have such a thing and don't even know if my computer can (generation) take one of those, but if so, what do I do? buy it buy myself (and atach it with cables)? go to apple and how do I do the set up change, is it automaticaly?
do you have an article about this?

what about NVIDIA processor, is this faster then previous generations? I heard this is only for games, is it true?

thanks

cos
Re: nvidia, solid state drive Question (February 28, 2009 07:46AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Cos,

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you talk about 'solid state'.

We have our hard drives, ram and a monitor card, but nothing that I would call solid state.

The only solid state thing that I know about is with the apple MacBook Air laptop, you can order this Mac with a solid state hard drive rather than an mechanical hard drive.

--ken
Re: nvidia, solid state drive Question (February 28, 2009 10:25PM) cosioshi
Re: nvidia, solid state drive Question (March 01, 2009 09:43AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Cos,

Solid state drives are very very expensive with a much lower capacity that mechanical hard drives.

or now I would suggest staying with mechanical hard drives.

My 2 cents.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login