Re: The 6.0.4 update; Installing FCP onto an external drive

The 6.0.4 update; Installing FCP onto an external drive (June 29, 2008 11:35AM) MarkLoPresti
I'm now running FCP 6.0.4 after downloading the most recent update. What specifically does this update address? Anything worth noting?

Second, is it possible to install FCP onto an external drive and launch it from there? When I've attempt to do so, the system HD is the only option available. I've loaded Photoshop & other programs on external drives with no problem, but no go with FCP.

Mark LoPresti, Buffalo NY
Re: The 6.0.4 update; Installing FCP onto an external drive (June 29, 2008 11:37AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Mark,

One never knows what is inside an update, you can read the 'notes'.

FCP is system intensive and needs to 'hook' to a number of items in the system. For this reason, FCP has to be installed on the boot drive.

--ken
Re: The 6.0.4 update; Installing FCP onto an external drive (June 29, 2008 12:08PM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: The 6.0.4 update; Installing FCP onto an external drive (June 29, 2008 12:48PM) MarkLoPresti
THANK YOU! I really need to use my 4 year old G4 laptop for a short term project, but without an external drive to run FCP 6.0.4, I just don't have enough room on the HD. It's a FireWire edit and the client wants me on location editing as they shoot the material. My G4 and two LaCie drives will make things much less complicated!

Thanks again!

Mark LoPresti, Buffalo NY

Christoph Vonrhein Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually you can move/copy FCP after installation
> onto another hard-drive. When you want to update
> FCP you need to move it back into the Applications
> folder.
>
> When you want to run several different versions of
> FCP, then you need to make a copy of the main
> application and rename it to "Final Cut Pro 6.0.0"
> (for example). The installer will not touch the
> renamed copy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login