Re: XServe/RAIDs & Upgrading the Computer

XServe/RAIDs & Upgrading the Computer (June 29, 2008 12:39PM) MarkLoPresti
Four years ago we purchased the then top of the line XServe/RAID drives which we topped out with all 14 modules and 2.7TB capacity. The G5 we bought at the time was a "special build" from the factory because of the fibre channel card to connect the XServes.

We now want to purchase a newer, better, faster G5 and certainly wish to keep the XServe/RAIDs we already own.

Will we have to purchase a new fibre channel card or can we simply take the card from the old computer and install it in the new one?

BTW, we also plan to install additional XServe/RAID capacity, but I'll tell ya somethin'. When our RAIDs went down, (ALL 14 mods at ONCE with no warning) we purchased 3 LaCie 1TB drives to get us through and they worked GREAT! In many ways, they worked MUCH better than the RAIDs ever did. Much less stopping during playback for no apparent reason. Even when they dropped frames, they muscled through better than the RAIDs ever did. And that's running Uncompressed 10-bit 720x486 SDI video.

At under $500 per, we're seriously thinking of buying more LaCie's instead of spending more $$$ on additional RAIDs that provide less capacity for the money.

AND the LaCie's connect via firewire so there's no need for an overpriced factory installed fibre channel card. Of course, HD performance will end up making the final decision.

Mark LoPresti, Buffalo NY
Re: XServe/RAIDs & Upgrading the Computer (June 29, 2008 08:26PM) ronny courtens
Hi Mark,

If your current fibre card is PCI-X and you buy a new Mac that only has PCI-Express slots then yes, you will need another card as well.

I agree with you on the performance of the X-Serve RAID. This was a great solution years ago, but I'm afraid the XServe RAID does not hold up against competition anymore. I even hear rumors of the XServe RAID being discontinued by Apple.

LaCie does not have a solid reputation regarding the failing power units on their d2 and Extreme models. However, I have a LaCie S2S 4TB RAID on my home station and it has been working great both with Uncompressed SD as HD material. Not fast enough for multi-layer Uncompressed HD though. But DVCPRO HD and Apple ProRes HD run fine.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login