Re: Copy FCP project over to macbookpro

Copy FCP project over to macbookpro (June 30, 2008 01:21AM) mathi
Hi Ken, is it possible to move a FCP 4.5 hd project from my G5 to my new MacBookpro FC studio? Please help me do it if it is possible.

Thanks,
mathi

Regards,
Mathi Seenivasagam
Best Media Productions Canada

"Do it Safe or Not at all"
Re: Copy FCP project over to macbookpro (June 30, 2008 05:54AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi mathi,

This can be done. Moving the FCP Project file is no problem, just transfer it to the new Mac. Where is your media being stored? If it is on an external firewire hard drive, then just move the drive to the new Mac.

When you launch your project, you will be told that the project must be updated. Once you do this, you will no longer be able to open the project in 4.5. You can make a back up copy of the 4.5 project just in case. There could be a few issues with updating from 4.5 to 6.0.4, some things have changed.

--ken
Re: Copy FCP project over to macbookpro (June 30, 2008 06:10AM) mathi
Thanks so much Ken, I will try it tonight. I have another question about video quality.

I have a DVCPro AJ-610 camera with 3/4" lanes. I am capturing my footage through the Canopus convertor ADV110 inputting s-video to capture via firewire. I am wondering, if I buy a HD camera (not the high-end) just like XDCAM or any Panasonic's small HD camera, I will get better quality footage?
Re: Copy FCP project over to macbookpro (June 30, 2008 09:38AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Mathi,

As I recall, the Canopus converts all video to DV NTSC for capture. Depending on the camera, the quality of thse new HD cameras is most often better quality and they shoot in 16:9 as opposed to 4:3, which for me is huge. I have worked with footage from the Z1and Z7 as well as the EX1 and the quality is well above DV NTSC.

What camera were you looking at?

--ken
Re: Copy FCP project over to macbookpro (July 02, 2008 03:13AM) mathi
Thanks Ken,

I am moving towards HD now; my choices are between Panasonic HPX500 - Sony EX1 or EX3. My existing lens from my DVCPRO 610 could be used in with HPX500.

Thanks so much for your help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login