The Best Consumer Camera for FCP

The Best Consumer Camera for FCP (July 01, 2008 11:02AM) youngeddie
Hello!

Hey, it's my birthday today. My wife wants to get me a camcorder. I edit in FCP, but I'm never the DP. So I was wondering what is the best choice for a consumer camera.

Are the DV Tapes still the best bet, or should I get a camera with at hard drive.

I know you guys are pros and use professional cameras, but I'm hoping you might be able to help me out with this one.

Thanks!

Eddie (60 years old today!)
Re: The Best Consumer Camera for FCP (July 01, 2008 11:20AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Eddie,

Happy Birthday.

It's going to depend on who you ask.

I have never been a big fan of tape so I like camras that can shoot to memory cards. More and more of these cameras are coming out everyday. Panasonic and Sony have models. Ingesting footage is such a simple matter with these cards. Any no moving parts to break.

You mentioned cameras with hard drives, and there are also cameras that burn to DVD. Neither of these would by my choice.

My 2 cents.

--ken
Re: The Best Consumer Camera for FCP (July 01, 2008 11:29AM) youngeddie
Thanks Ken!

Do happen to have a model in mind? Since it's my big day, I can probably get away with spending around $1500.

I'd like to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak... There's still time to go shopping before the day's over.

Thanks!!

Eddie
Re: The Best Consumer Camera for FCP (July 01, 2008 11:49AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Eddie,

I'm a still photographer, never shot video, so I'm not the right person to make camera recommendations. Besides, even though you want to run right out and buy something today, don't rush.

Hopfully someone else can make some recommendtions.

I believe that there are several cameras that shoot to card, like Canon, that are within your price range.

Anyone?????

--ken
Re: The Best Consumer Camera for FCP (July 01, 2008 11:51AM) Ken Stone Admin
Eddie,

This guy is well liked.

Panasonic SD5.

--ken
Re: The Best Consumer Camera for FCP (July 01, 2008 12:43PM) youngeddie
Thanks Ken!

Eddie
Re: The Best Consumer Camera for FCP (July 10, 2008 11:40AM) youngeddie
Hi Ken,

Today I received my new Panasonic HDC-SD5pp Camcorder.

It doesn't seem to like FCP, which is alarming.

Do you know where I can find out how to get FCP to recognize the camera? It's USB and not Firewire. Is that a problem? I'm not sure what to do.

I called Panasonic, but they don't know anything about FCP.

Thanks,

Eddie
Re: The Best Consumer Camera for FCP (July 10, 2008 11:59AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Eddie,

I don't know this camera. I have no idea what format it shoots. I took a quick look. It records to a memory card. Normally with memory cards, you plug the camera into the Mac with USB and the card should mount on the desktop. Sometimes you need software from the manufacture to help mount the card.

With the card mounted you would then go to 'Log and Transfer' where the clips should show up, ready for ingest.

--ken
Re: The Best Consumer Camera for FCP (July 10, 2008 12:11PM) youngeddie
Hi Ken,

I don't know how to thank you enough. I was looking everywhere for the answer and, as usual (!!!) it came from you.

The log and transfer worked great.

Thanks thanks thanks!!!!

Eddie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login