Re: Copy and Paste in Motion 2

Copy and Paste in Motion 2 (July 08, 2008 09:12PM) clearcutmedia
Hi

I am trying to copy what I have done in one motion project into another existing Motion project. However, when I paste it into a new group it gets all messed up, like its lost some of the information in the process.

Can anyone advise how to do this successfully?

I am 3 months late on delivering this project and will soon need a pint of prozac and a valium sandwich!

Thanks

Trevor
Re: Copy and Paste in Motion 2 (July 08, 2008 10:14PM) ronny courtens
Hi Trevor,

In order to help you we will need some more information:

1. What format is your Motion project ? (PAL or NTSC, 4:3 or widescreen, HD...)
2. Is the format of the project to which you are pasting the elements exactly the same as the format you are copying them from ?
3. What is the content you are trying to paste ? (titles, graphics, video...) and does the content have any animation keyframes applied to it ?
4. Are you working with a camera applied to the group ?

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Copy and Paste in Motion 2 (July 08, 2008 10:58PM) clearcutmedia
Hi Ronny

Answers below:

(1) PAL anamorphic
(2) Yes same format in both projects
(3) Pasting sound, titles, graphics, keyframed animations
(4) In terms of camera, I guess so. In as much as the animation is 3D.

I get the same result if I try and copy and paste from one project into the same project but a new group.

Thanks for your help!

Trevor
Re: Copy and Paste in Motion 2 (July 08, 2008 11:44PM) ronny courtens
Oops I just see you work with Motion 2, which does not have a 3D camera feature. In Motion 3 you can have this problem when pasting elements from a 3D group into a 2D group, but that will not be the case here.

What can cause this, is when you have applied animation parameters to a Group that holds elements you wish to copy/paste. When you paste these elements in a new Group (which does not have these parameters applied) your layers will get messed up.

If you are not sure where you have applied global keyframes to a groupin your old project, the best thing you can do is to create a new Group in your old project (choose Object > New Group or press SHFT+CMD+N). Give this new Group a distinct name (e.g. Project Group)

Then you make sure your Project Group is on top off your entire project (select the Project Group and choose Object > Bring To Front).

Finally you select everything which is below the Project Group and you drag the entire selection into the Group. Your entire project will now be into the Project Group. Copy and paste this Group into your new project and see if everything works. If it is OK, just open the Project Group in your new project and delete any elements you don't need.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Copy and Paste in Motion 2 (July 08, 2008 11:47PM) clearcutmedia
Hi Ronny

My mistake, I meant Motion 3!!

I will give this a try, thanks.

Trevor
Re: Copy and Paste in Motion 2 (July 08, 2008 11:55PM) ronny courtens
Hi Trevor,

The same method I described also works in Motion 3. Just make sure you always copy/paste all layers AND their groups if these groups have animation parametrers applied.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Copy and Paste in Motion 2 (July 09, 2008 12:28AM) clearcutmedia
Hi Ronny

That worked!! Thanks so much for your help! A lot of time has now been saved!

Trevor
Re: Copy and Paste in Motion 2 (July 09, 2008 12:43AM) ronny courtens
Hi Trevor,

To quote Ken Stone: "Good news, I love good news!"

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login