Re: Power spike-FCP

Power spike-FCP (July 09, 2008 03:03AM) SAD
I was editing on FCP Studio 2 when there was a very brief power outage. Now, my timeline says all the media is offline. It also created another bin where the media doesn't have the red "stripe of death" but there is no timeline.

I have not closed out my FCP. Should I and check "don't save changes?" will that get me back pre-power outage? I have set it up for FCP to automatically save every few minutes.

Thanks...

Sharon
Re: Power spike-FCP (July 09, 2008 06:24AM) jlcinc
Sharon,

Don't save and close the project. Find your autosave folder and open the latest file and see what it looks like.

John
Re: Power spike-FCP (July 09, 2008 06:25AM) ronny courtens
Hi Sharon,

First check if you really have a media offline problem or if it's just the Thumbnail Cache that is corrupted. To do this you just play the timeline and see if your video plays.

- If your timeline does play, you only have a corrupted Thumbnail Cache, that's not a real problem. Just create a new sequence with the same settings as your current one, copy/paste your current sequence in the new one. Your thumbnails will reappear in the timeline and the "media offline" message will be gone. Then save your project and quit FCP.

- If your timeline does not play you have a real media offline problem.

Hide FCP and go to your Capture Scratch folder. Play the files that belong to your project and see if they are OK. If they don't you are out of luck, there may be something wrong with you drive.

If the media play fine in the CS folder, close FCP without saving your current project and re-open it. As you have set up an Autosave every few minutes there is no danger quitting FCP without saving the project. Then you can re-open the project and see if it is OK.

- If the project opens and it gives you a "Missing Media files" message, just reconnect and everything should be fine.

- If the project does not open you may have a corrupted project file. In this case:
- Go to the Autosave folder and open the latest Autosave for this project.
- Check if everything is OK.
- If it is, save the Autosave project as your new project file (Save As) and close the new project. Then trash the corrupted project file.

Try these steps until your project works again, and post back if you still have a problem or if you have found a solution.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Power spike-FCP (July 09, 2008 06:25AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: Power spike-FCP (July 09, 2008 06:41AM) ronny courtens
Good point, Christian.

Sharon, a simple re-boot may also solve the problem, assuming your drives haven't been affected by the power spike.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Power spike-FCP (July 09, 2008 07:49AM) SAD
Thanks all for the help.

Lucky for me, I was able to access auto save which saved the project right before the spike. Oh, the joys of living in Florida with the thunderstorms. I have a beefy surge protector but it won't help me right at the moment of a power spike.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Sharon
Re: Power spike-FCP (July 09, 2008 08:01AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: Power spike-FCP (July 11, 2008 02:53PM) steve douglas
So Christoph, I'm interested...what product do you suggest that won't require a second mortgage?
Hope you are well,
steve
Re: Power spike-FCP (July 12, 2008 01:23AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Re: Power spike-FCP (July 13, 2008 04:29AM) Tom George
Christoph,

I agree with you. I've noticed that when there is a power surge my Mac just shuts off and the power supply unit doesn't give me any time to save and shut down.

Tom
Re: Power spike-FCP (July 13, 2008 06:05AM) Christoph Vonrhein
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login