Re: Modifying Size of Sequence

Modifying Size of Sequence (July 09, 2008 06:37AM) subu
Hi everyone,

I have a beginner's question.

I use FCP 5.1.4 and I typically work with HDV source footage. A friend asked me to edit his video and it was a standard def source. I changed the Quicksetup from 1080i to NTSC. When I loaded the clips in the viewer, they were fairly small and having never worked with SD material before and having just reinstalled FCP after an Archive & Install lost all my prefs, I just zoomed in to 100% on the viewer and canvas and worked that way. When I exported the sequence as a .mov using current settings, the file was 16:9 and the sequence took up a small portion of the center.

Any recommendations on 1) a better way to switch between 16:9 and 4:3 and back for future projects? 2) Is there a way to change the size of the entire sequence without re-editing the entire sequence?

Thanks so much!
Re: Modifying Size of Sequence (July 09, 2008 09:41AM) Ken Stone Admin
You did not tell us what format these new clips are? Are they DV-NTSC?

When you select a new Easy Setup, it is applied only to new projects. Did you create a new project after you picked an Easy Setup?

--ken
Re: Modifying Size of Sequence (July 09, 2008 04:07PM) subu
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply! I believe it's DVC-NTSC. I think I started a new project and then I changed the Easy Setup. Is there anyway to modify the current sequence from 1080i to DVC-NTSC or perhaps zoom into the desired area/crop/letterbox? Or will I need to re-do the project?

Thanks so much for the help!
Re: Modifying Size of Sequence (July 09, 2008 04:51PM) Ken Stone Admin
I have never heard of DVC-NTSC, do you mean DV-NTSC?

You sequence settings must match your clip settings.

--ken
Re: Modifying Size of Sequence (July 10, 2008 01:52AM) subu
Sorry about that - I meant DV-NTSC.

My guess is that I left the Easy Setup in 1080i60 since I did not start a new project after changing the Easy Setup to DV NTSC - 23.98. So I ended up w/ a sequence that only takes up a small portion of the screen with a black border around it. So would the only option be for me to re-do the project w/ the proper setup?

I appreciate all the help!
Re: Modifying Size of Sequence (July 10, 2008 02:26AM) ronny courtens
Hi Subu,

Normally you won't have to re-do the project. You can create a new sequence and paste the existing one into it. But first you will have to know what new sequence to create so it matches your captured video. Do the following things:

1. Go to any video clip in your Browser window, R-click the clip and choose Item Properties > Format from the drop-down list. The Item properties window for your video clip will open.

2. In the Item Properties list, make a note of the following information:

- Frame Size
- Compressor
- Pixel Aspect
- Anamorphic (checked or not ?)

3. Post this information here and we will able to assist you further.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Modifying Size of Sequence (July 10, 2008 06:11AM) subu
Ronny,

Thanks for the reply!

- Frame Size: 720 x 480
- Compressor: DV/DVCPRO-NTSC
- Pixel Aspect: NTSC - CCIR 601
- Anamorphic (checked or not ?): Not checked
Re: Modifying Size of Sequence (July 10, 2008 06:40AM) ronny courtens
OK, do the following:

Open your project and choose Final Cut Pro > Easy Setup
In the Easy Setup window, select DV-NTSC and press the Setup button

Now create a new Sequence (File > New > Sequence or press CMD+N) and open this sequence in the timeline.

Now click your old sequence (the 1080i one), press CMD+A to select all clips in the sequence, then CMD+C to copy your selection.

Click your new sequence (the NTSC DV one) and press CMD+V to paste your selection into this sequence. Your clips should now fill the Canvas and play correctly in the timeline.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Modifying Size of Sequence (July 10, 2008 08:01AM) subu
Ronny,

Thanks so much! It worked!

-Su
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login