Re: DV CAM deck issue in FCP

DV CAM deck issue in FCP (July 11, 2008 02:31AM) Shane Stanley
It turns out that my deck will successfully play/view/capture into computer ONLY when a DVCAM tape is used/played. I have to use a small consumer miniDV camera to get miniDV format to work. I cannot get Mini DV to work in FCP when using my Sony SR-11 Deck. Has anyone heard of this? Again, my Sony Deck works perfect when using a DVCAM, but will not allow me to view, capture, etc when a Mini DV tape is in it.
Re: DV CAM deck issue in FCP (July 11, 2008 08:39AM) jrosson
If the material recorded on the mini-dv tape was from a panasonic deck or camera, or possibly another brand, the sony deck will not play it.
that was my experience in the past, and we attributed it to marketplace competition.
if a sony machine is recording the signal, that's another issue altogether.
Re: DV CAM deck issue in FCP (July 11, 2008 05:31PM) John Livings
Hi Shane,
If you haven't tried this yet, It might work;
1. With the DSR-11 on, And a NTSC monitor connected, Use the Remote and click "MENU" > VTR.> REC MODE> then choose DVCAM OR DV SP.

2. I use the DSR-11 for Large and Small DVCAM , Mini DV Tapes Recorded in DVCAM MODE, Also I use Small DVCAM and MINI DV tapes recorded in a Mini DV camera (DV-SP Mode) and everything works and My REC MODE on the DSR-11 is set to DVCAM.

3. The only difference Other than the coating on different tapes (Mini DV vs Mini DV vs DVCAM vs DVCAM) is the "SPEED" the tape is recorded on. DVCAM Mode (Not Tape) uses more Tape per Minute than Mini DV Mode. Example; A 60 minute Mini DV tape will record 60 minutes in the DV-SP Mode, However the same Mini DV tape will only record 40 minutes in the DVCAM Mode.

4. I can't tell ANY difference Between something shot in DVCAM vs Mini DV Modes OR DVCAM vs Mini DV tapes. It doesn't seem to matter during Editing or Delivery (where it counts) which mode or tape was used. The only reason I use DVCAM tapes is I have one camera that shoots in the DVCAM Mode Only, and only then when I need more than 40 minutes of tape(The Large DVCAM tapes shoot up to 184 Minutes)

5. If the tape ( Mini DV or Small DVCAM) Was recorded in the DV-LP mode I don't think the DSR-11 can play it. I think the DSR-11 will only play tapes recorded in the DVCAM or DV-SP Modes

Just my opinions, I hope you solve your issue.

Regards, John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login