Re: Mini DV Camera Suggestions

Mini DV Camera Suggestions (July 11, 2008 03:43AM) Tom George
I have a JVC HD camera but because it produces .TOD files I'm having tons of trouble converting them and burning good looking standard DVDs. I'll keep this camera until the powers that be at Apple will support these files and I'll be able to edit and burn Blu-Ray DVDs. Until then I need to buy a good mini DV camera, not a pro version but one for my own personal home movies. I like Sony products so I'm leaning towards that brand but I'm open to suggestions. I also want to keep it under $600 if possible.

I have a Sony VX 1000 and it's a great camera but when travelling by air it's a carry-on by itself. I want a smaller, lighter camera for these trips that require air travel.

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Mini DV Camera Suggestions (July 11, 2008 02:51PM) steve douglas
For a smaller, lighter HDV cam, try the Sony HC-9 or A1-U
Steve
Re: Mini DV Camera Suggestions (July 11, 2008 03:13PM) Tom George
Steve,

Do these cameras record to Mini DV tapes? That's what I'm looking for.

Tom
Re: Mini DV Camera Suggestions (July 12, 2008 09:33AM) steve douglas
I know the A1-U records to tape, I think the HC-9 does as well but you would have to check.
Steve
Re: Mini DV Camera Suggestions (July 13, 2008 04:21AM) Tom George
Steve,

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have an HD camera but I'm looking for just a Mini-DV camera that's small, light and not expensive just for my own personal use for when I go on trips that require flying. I just need some good video, nothing professional and the camera does not have to be good in low light conditions.

Tom
Re: Mini DV Camera Suggestions (July 13, 2008 08:17AM) John Livings
Hi Tom,

The Sony DCR-HC28 sounds like what you want.

20x optical Zoom, Kind of a point and shoot, Small, Video looks GOOD, Mini DV tapes $2.25.

Camera $ 200.00 without the accessory package ( which you don't need)

Just my opinion.

Regards, John
Re: Mini DV Camera Suggestions (July 13, 2008 12:17PM) gijacklin
I love my little canon Elura. Think it's less than $300 and the quality of picture is amazing! I use it for on the fly stuff in my documentaries and it holds up fine.
Re: Mini DV Camera Suggestions (July 13, 2008 05:27PM) Tom George
John,

Where did you buy your camera? Do you have any recommendations for a 3CCD that fits my needs?

gijacklin,

Does the Canon Elura have a model number and is it a 3CCD? Any recommendations on a 3 chip camera? Where did you buy your camera? I can't find yours or John's at B&H.

I appreciate both of your suggestions and looks as if those cameras might fit my needs and a 3CCD might be even better but might not be necessary.

Tom
Re: Mini DV Camera Suggestions (July 13, 2008 06:09PM) John Livings
Hi Tom, We Bought 10 of them About 2-3 Years ago for a 5th grade Video Production Class (Public School).

No Problems with any of them, We still use them now. Bought at B&H for $219.00 or $229.00, I can't remember. No Longer produced, But still available.

3CCDs ??? Don't know. We use PD-150, VX2100 and a couple of DSR-500, All are larger than the VX-1000( Which is a GREAT Camera)

The attachment is a Google search, Not a recommendation. Beware of really low prices,Shipping and the push to sell you Extras.

Regards, John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login