Re: Canon XL2 time code break

Canon XL2 time code break (July 11, 2008 10:01AM) Angy
I have been filming with a Canon xl2 and Sony Premium tapes. I am putting then the tape in a Sony trv 900 to be able to capture the video on a G5 with Final Cut. I have difficulties capturing the video, because I have a time code break about every 60 seconds. I didn't turn the camera off. I used the tapes before and experienced some breaks, but could work around it.
I tried capturing with an other TRV 900 the problem was worse. I tried to capture from the canon xl2 and that is not possible, because canon doesn't like when multiple USB ports are used on the computer.
I have tried capturing by setting an in and out point as well as capture now.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Angy
Re: Canon XL2 time code break (July 11, 2008 12:09PM) David Harbsmeier
>>because canon doesn't like when multiple USB ports are used on the computer<<

You're using USB for capture?? That is most likely the problem. USB transfers data i packets (short bursts). FCP can somtimes interpret the pauses between the bursts as timecode breaks.

-DH
Re: Canon XL2 time code break (July 11, 2008 12:36PM) Angy
no, I am using fire wire for capture.But it is a know Canon XL2 problem, that if USB ports are used on the computer you can not import from the camera via fire wire.
Re: Canon XL2 time code break (July 11, 2008 02:04PM) David Harbsmeier
Angy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> no, I am using fire wire for capture.But it is a
> know Canon XL2 problem, that if USB ports are used
> on the computer you can not import from the camera
> via fire wire.

This is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing. I have seen numerous reports about Canon devices not liking to share a Firewire bus, but nothing about USB. Do you have any references for this?

-DH
Re: Canon XL2 time code break (July 11, 2008 02:17PM) Ken Stone Admin
Canon cameras often want 'FireWire basic' in device control.

--ken
Re: Canon XL2 time code break (July 11, 2008 03:36PM) Angy
here is the info I got about canon firewire. I got it to work after I unplugged everything including what I had plugged into USB ports.

Hi Angy,

It's Canon's firewire that causes problems.
Canon cameras don't like more than one or two external firewire drive connected.

Try different firewire ports on your Mac, my set up is as folows:
1 Firewire external HD (capture) connected to FireWire 800 (at the back of my Mac)
2nd Firewire HD connected to Firewire 400 (Mac's front)
Canon XM2 connected to Firewire 400 port on my Appple Cinema Display.

If I connected 3rd firewire HD to this set up, FCP doesn't repond.

For that situation I've got an inexpensive Sony to capture from.
You don't want to wear & tear your Canon's tape transport mechanism for
capturing anyway.
New little Sony costs less then the trip to Canon's service department.
Don't forget the lost time waiting for your Canon to return from the service.

Mick

Re: ca
Re: Canon XL2 time code break (July 11, 2008 04:01PM) David Harbsmeier
I still don't see anything about USB in the message from Rick.

-DH
Re: Canon XL2 time code break (July 11, 2008 05:08PM) Angy
you are right, I have no explanation. I don't know why it worked after I took almost everything out of the USB ports. I still have no explanation for the time code breaks, when I capture from my Sony TRV. Only the footage from the Canon xl2 is affected by it. I was also filming with a Sony vx2000 and the Sony exxelence tape and had no problem. So I guess it must be the camera or the tape?
Re: Canon XL2 time code break (July 11, 2008 05:33PM) rista
Angy,

I remember this post, it was a while ago and it helped to some people with there same problem.
There was nothing about USB there.

Have you managed to get your Canon to import normally with your current set up?

Running your tapes through multiple cameras can make the thing worse,
especially as you don't know what kind of tapes was used in that camera before (different lubricants).

Your best chance to capture properly is through your Canon, as the footage was acquired on it.
(misaligned heads or tracks on either Canon or on Sony can be a real cause for your problem).

If, for example, Canon has a misaligned heads or tracks, then it's expected that it wouldn't play/import
normally from any other camera.

Secondly, in my case, little Sony is only used for ingesting footage and nothing else.

Finally, please try to set your HDs so that you can import from Canon, and then later try to establish
where is the problem; on Canon or on a Sony.
If head cleaning tape doesn't solve the problem, then next thing might be a trip to Canon service department,
only you know if it was serviced recently or ever.

Mick Ristic
Re: Canon XL2 time code break (July 11, 2008 05:41PM) Angy
Mick,

thank you very much for your response. That makes totally sense. I'll try this.

Thank you Angy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login