How do I import a GIF file for my timeline without loosing the transparency?

How do I import a GIF file for my timeline without loosing the transparency? (July 13, 2008 05:08PM) npqster
I need to import a graphic file which is text in a special font with a transparent background but when I do, I seem to loose the transparency.
Re: How do I import a GIF file for my timeline without loosing the transparency? (July 14, 2008 01:51AM) Stu Dogg
I would do it in photo shop using magic ward to select the area you want to keep the. if you change the transparency then Save as BMP. or you could open it in motion if you still loose the transparency use color mixer and change the alpha setting so the background goes. then export the .mov as an animation and import into final cut. you can also you color key but you geet pretty bad results.

Stuart
Re: How do I import a GIF file for my timeline without loosing the transparency? (July 14, 2008 09:01AM) ronny courtens
Go to the GIF in your FCP Browser and scroll through the Browser list until you see the Alpha column.
Look at the Alpha setting for your GIF. My guess it will be noted as "None".
R-click on the word "None" and choose "Straight" from the list.
Then drop your GIF on the FCP timeline. If your GIF indeed has transparency your text will be keyed over your background.

If your GIF has no transparency you will have to open it in Photoshop, key out the BG using the magic wand and save as PNG, then import the PNG in FCP.

GIF is a highly compressed web format, it is not really the best quality to use in FCP.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: How do I import a GIF file for my timeline without loosing the transparency? (July 23, 2008 05:23AM) Freeze
Thank you!!!

I originally imported a .JPG and had reconnected the file to .TGA, .TIFF, .PNG etc. and nothing was working and it was driving me crazy, this is a great tip everyone who deals with transparenct should know about.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login