Delivering an HD project on Blu Ray ?

Delivering an HD project on Blu Ray ? (July 14, 2008 03:48AM) filmographer
When I get back to NYC in a few months I want to advertise that I can shoot in HD(HVX 200) edit in HD (FCS 2) author and burn their wedding in HD onto a Blu Ray disc so they can watch it the way it was meant to be seen! I am even going to include a Blu Ray player in the price... great marketing tool- or is it? Because, am I correct in this, that I would have to author NOT in DVDSP but a third party program? Is it Adobe Encore? Is that as sophisticated as DVDSP?
Re: Delivering an HD project on Blu Ray ? (July 14, 2008 04:06AM) sbeisen
Re: Delivering an HD project on Blu Ray ? (July 14, 2008 04:29AM) filmographer
I was joking about the great marketing- I am not THAT full of myself! Just a bit... However, NYC brides are very sophisticated and make it a point to do their research and I believe that in maybe a year EVERY bride will expect the wedding video to not only be shot in HD but also delivered in HD... eventually. I have found in my research that it is expected that some chinese brands will be sub $200.00 as soon as the licenses are approved- even so, I have seen Sony decks for $300.00. Giving the deck is just an idea- but it could prove to make the difference in the very competitive NYC market. You mention the cost of the discs... just the cost of doing business I suppose. I agree that currently it isn't really necessary to shoot in HD when so few people have the hardware to play back an HD video of their wedding even if it were delivered on Blu Ray- but don't you believe the change is coming in our industry? I am not sure, but it seems as if clients are going to, sooner than later, start asking. However, even if they weren't asking but I promoted the advantages of having your wedding shot, edited, authored and delivered in true HD (and I spend the $300.00 to give away the player) I would create some buzz about my company (assuming that the most important thing- the quality of the shooting and editing and the integrity of the company and it's business practices- are even more important than anything else) it couldn't hurt pushing the inevitable. It's just a guess like everything else I suppose. But I do love the HVX 200 and really would love to see a product in true HD from start to finish and viewed that that by the bride on her TV not her computer. Just an opinion.
Re: Delivering an HD project on Blu Ray ? (July 18, 2008 03:48AM) rista
It depends if you were already set up for HD in terms of post production.
Don't forget that you need faster hard drives (array), then monitoring.
Secondly, you need to research if they were ready to pay extra for HD,
and how much.
How much more expensive you expect to be, to pay of your investment and still make profit,
and still stay competitive?

It is so easy to price yourself out of the market and watch some guy with 3 year old
gear taking your clients over.
In all my career I've never had a bride commenting the picture quality.

I believe that there is something else that will sell a wedding video,
if we were selling to grooms, I believe that then picture and technical qualities overall
would be more important.

Don't get me wrong, we'll all need to upgrade sooner or later, but everyone at
his normal scheduled time.
Unfortunately, I don't see it as an advantage to my business, but more as the cost.

They don't really care what are you shooting with, DV, HDV, HD.
When they are booking, they see you and your video, nothing else.

And don't forget the old one - "content is the king".

Mio
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login