Gamma Correction...

Gamma Correction... (August 28, 2009 12:14PM) SteveFrey
Hey everyone. I recently shot a commercial that will end up on a cable network. The lighting is great, my exposure is perfect on the raw footage, but when I bring it into final cut the gamma correction it applies alters the look of the shot dramatically. (This has been an ongoing fight for me with everything I've been shooting.) With the normal stuff I do, I can compensate for it but I don't feel like I should have to tweek everything I shoot to compensate for this. I am hoping someone can explain what I may be doing wrong, or at least why this is happening so that I can find a better work around than applying a gamma correction filter to offset the applied gamma correction of my editing system! Thanks!
Re: Gamma Correction... (August 28, 2009 12:20PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Steve,

Where are you viewing your video? You can NOT use the canvas or even a computer monitor (except MXO), you need to view on a broadcast monitor.

What format are you working with?

--ken
Re: Gamma Correction... (August 29, 2009 01:33AM) ronny courtens
Hi Steve,

Ken is right. If you are not viewing your video output on a calibrated external monitor there is no way you can see how your picture really looks. Computer monitors are totally unreliable for judging video colors or gamma. If you correct the gamma of your video only based on what you see on your computer monitor you may be ruining you footage for broadcast.

We work for broadcast every day and I must say I have never seen any difference in quality between what we shoot and what we get out of FCP.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login