Archiving iDVD project

Archiving iDVD project (July 15, 2008 04:42PM) katford
Hello all,

I've spent a great deal of time on a FCP/iDVD project but need to swap my current iMac for a new one. If I archive my iDVD project to an external hard drive, will all associated files be saved with the archive? I've spent a lot of time on this and don't want to lose anything.

Any insight you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Katherine
Re: Archiving iDVD project (July 15, 2008 09:32PM) ronny courtens
Hi Katherine,

When you archive an iDVD project, your entire project will be saved into one folder including your project file and all the media you have used in this project.

If you wish you can also include the theme(s) you have used, in case these themes will not be available on your new system. To do this you just put a checkmark next to "Add themes" in the Archive window. If you are using the same iDVD version on your new computer, you don't need to include the themes in the archive.

You can also choose to include the encoded files. In this case you will not have to re-encode your assets when you open the project on your new computer, but your archive folder will increase in file size and take longer to create.

Two important things to know:

1. If you have used any special fonts in your project, make sure these same fonts are also installed on the new computer.

2. Before archiving for a transfer to another computer, check every asset you have used in your project (project file, video, photos, music files...) and make sure all of them have read and write permissions enabled. To do this you R-click every asset and choose "Get Info". Then, in the Get Info window you enable "Read and write" for every asset. This will enable you and other people to access these files on your new computer, even if you have chosen a new user name on this computer.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Re: Archiving iDVD project (July 18, 2008 03:01AM) rista
Hi Katherine & Ronny,

I'd explain that differently.
Start of your mail can be a bit misleading, sorry Ronny,
I'd reverse the order of the text and add few things.

I'd say; You MUST include the encoded files, otherwise your iDVD project will NOT work!!!

So, to go back to the source of the story, Katherine, when exporting from FCP you have to choose
Make Movie Self-Contained and then later copy that one (alongside all other assets used for iDVD project,
as Ronny said, all photos, music files etc.) to your external drive.

To be sure that everything is working, you can try making another copy of the DVD from that
copied iDVD project file.
You can move your original iDVD project (and associated assets) file to trash to make sure that one you are launching is indeed your new copy from external drive, BUT make sure you DON"T EMPTY THE TRASH.

I believe your new iDVD project file will ask you to locate your assets, as they are now in new location.
This will enable your iDVD project to connect to all assets and make a new disc for you.

Now, you can continue on Ronny's post from "Two important things to know..."

Mio
Re: Archiving iDVD project (July 22, 2008 07:59AM) katford
Thank you both so much!!!

K
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login