Permissions Repair

Permissions Repair (September 06, 2009 07:00AM) steve douglas
Don't know if I have a problem or not as everything seems to be running just fine. I regularly repair permissions both before and after any software updates or installs. This morning I repaired permissions on the Mac Pro running OS 10.5.8 and after its usual time it said that permissions were repaired, all is well. However, instead of the usual miles long list of things checked, it was a very brief message window. Repaired and verified permissions again. Same thing, strange. Went to my Mac Book Pro and repaired permissions and, this time, got that very long list I am used to.

Does anyone have any insight into this? The grab on top is from the Mac Pro and the one on bottom is from the MBP
Thanks,
Steve

Re: Permissions Repair (September 06, 2009 07:30AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Steve,

I just ran the Java update on my Mac Pro.

I then Repaired Permissions. I still. have a ton of repaired items.

--ken
Re: Permissions Repair (September 06, 2009 07:34AM) steve douglas
Figured out the problem, never stop learning. I repaired permissions using Drive Genius and had the usual long list. Went back to disc utilities and noticed that the 'Show Details' was unchecked. Don't remember doing that but checked it and repaired again and the looooooooong list is back. As simple as that.
Steve
Re: Permissions Repair (September 06, 2009 01:29PM) Dave Hardy
Hi Steve,

Sure, if you remove the check mark from Show details the big long list disappears. I don't recall ever in OSX having to do that to get a clean slate. Maybe show details was unselected by default until one of the recent updates on 10.5. The list is apparently much smaller in 10.6 but it's still there. All that stuff like "Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" has been modified and will not be repaired", is apparently nothing to worry about, but I sure wish Apple would fix this.

Dave
Re: Permissions Repair (September 06, 2009 02:26PM) steve douglas
Hey Dave, You may be right that it was unchecked by default as I certainly don't recall unchecking it. But all's well that ends well. I agree, wish that Apple would fix that SUID warning nonsense.
Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login