Re: Matrox MXO

Matrox MXO (July 16, 2008 01:48AM) cegelfand
Using Octo Core Mac Pro 8gb RAM, FCP 6.04, QT 7.5

I have an Apple 23" Cinema as my main display and the Dell 2408 as my secondary display/video output.

I bought the MXO to view my footage on the Dell as though it were an HD NTSC monitor. My source footage was shot in full HD on the SONY EX-1 but my end product and thusly my sequences in FCP are SD.

I do want to see playback of my timeline on the Dell as a solid reference for what the final product will look like. However, after going through all the calibrations (including temporarily downgrading to QT 7.4.5 to use the pro amp), I find the image washed out and the edges pixelated. When I return the monitor to FCP mode, the Viewer window looks rich and sharp and beuatiful.

I did the Matrox Easy Setup ands then used the NTSC DV 720 x 480 preset since my project will end up in SD...

What's wrong here?
Re: Matrox MXO (July 16, 2008 10:45AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: Matrox MXO (July 16, 2008 10:54AM) cegelfand
Per Shane Ross, my issue was that I had selected Scaling in the MXO pref for an SD project, so the software was blowing up 720 x 480 to 1900 x 1200. However, I believe the Dell will work fine...

One thing you did not address in your MXO write-up was the current glitch involving QT 7.5 and the proc amp. Though I was able to use Pacifist to reinstall 7.4.5, it was a real pain to then re-install 7.5 to use FCP.

Seems like the Spyder product may be the best solution for the color end of things, but as far as monitoring SD footage on my Dell 2408, I guess I have to do it small or not at all-

Unless you have other suggestions...
Re: Matrox MXO (July 16, 2008 10:58AM) Ken Stone Admin
I have turned scaling off, too much distortion. But yes, DV-NTSC is very small on screen.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login