MPEG?

MPEG? (July 16, 2008 12:29PM) Margo
I need to save a FCP sequence as an MPEG. Any suggestions on how to do this?
Thanks -
md
Re: MPEG? (July 16, 2008 01:46PM) David Harbsmeier
Margo,

Which type of MPEG do you need? There's MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 video types. And there are variations of each of those.

-DH
Re: MPEG? (July 17, 2008 06:29AM) Margo
Any of those will work. My boss needs to be able to import it into Microsoft PowerPoint (2003) and it is obnoxiously finicky.

Thanks for any help!
md
Re: MPEG? (July 17, 2008 07:51AM) David Harbsmeier
I'd first make sure which formats that the version of PowerPoint in use is compatible with. Older versions only accepted WMV, MPEG-1 (very low quality) and a few AVI codecs. Once you know which is compatible, you can use Compressor or QuickTime Pro to do the conversion: in FCP set an IN and OUT point, then go to File->Export->Using Compressor (or Using QuickTime Conversion).

Then select the format and specs you need for compatibility.

-DH
Re: MPEG? (July 18, 2008 02:09AM) jrosson
Re: MPEG? (July 18, 2008 03:20AM) rista
I've done it with WMV, works perfectly.

Exported movies from FCP as WMV,
transfered them to client's PC,
then launched PPT and inserted WMV movies.

To be honest, there were some problems, but not only with movies,
but photos as well. Then the client called his IT guy who upgraded
Office suite to newer version and then worked without problems.
(BTW, had to start new PPT project from scratch tho.)

Probably one of those things that still exist on the "dark side" :)

Your boss should be able to upgrade Office suite to new one,
if it is still finicky.

Mio
Re: MPEG? (July 18, 2008 05:48AM) Margo
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to give it a go today and will report back.

And thank you Ken Stone (as usual!) for this wonderful forum. I could not do half the stuff I do without the support/information of everyone.

md
Re: MPEG? (July 20, 2008 09:40AM) Gretchen
I need very BASIC help. Is MPEG Playback Component or similar software a REQUIREMENT to edit DVDs and copy them? I should emphasize a requirement for SIMPLE DVD editing and copying on a Mac.
Re: MPEG? (July 20, 2008 11:06AM) rista
Hi Gretchen,

In short: no it is not a requirement.

When you say "edit DVDs" do you mean to author DVDs (to build a DVD),
or you are talking about ripping non - copyrighted DVDs
and then copying those?

What software / hardware do you have?

Mio
Re: MPEG? (July 21, 2008 02:24AM) Gretchen
Thanks Mio. Yes, I want to take a portion from a non-copyrighted DVD and copy it to another disc. I think this is "ripping" but I'm not real familiar with the lingo. In fact, I wish there was a website or book for newbies (idiot's version) to get acquainted with it. But I suppose the best way to learn is to just tackle the project and learn as i go by doing it!

I'm using a Mac and have a disc that was made from old home VHS tape. The disc plays great on my Mac, but when I attempted to run Streamclip to begin the conversion process, an alert came up from Streamclip that said because my system didn't have MPEG Playback Component that I wouldn't be able to utilize Streamclips most important functions. So, I stopped in my tracks and waited to get more advise here. I've gotten a new reply above under my first post (newbies...) about downloading something else that will enable Quicktime(?) or something to get it done, I assume without having to fork over $20. I kinda wanted to hear comments about the usefulness of Playback Component before i bought it and it sounds like I can skip it. I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have and hope to start later today. The clip I want is of a friend who passed away a few years ago (cancer) . Her teenage son is receiving his Eagle Scout Award on Sunday and I wanted to give him a DVD of his mother as a gift.

I'll be sure and post here again if I hit anymore snags! Thanks again for your help. ~G
Re: MPEG? (July 21, 2008 03:06AM) rista
Gretchen,

I don't remember if I had to download that Component, but it sounds like
very probable.
Once downloaded, open MPEG Streamclip (you might find it on your desktop or in Downloads folder).
Go to Open Files and navigate until you found your inserted DVD.

Open that file and go to Export menu and export it as a DV file.

You should have a copy of iMovie on your Mac, open iMovie and import
that DV file (one you just created with MPEG Streamclip.

In iMovie you can edit that part of DV, add photos, music etc.

Once you've finished, open your iDVD and import that iMovie file,
there should be a .mov file with QuickTime icon.

Edit (author) your movie / menu in iDVD, add photos, music to the menu and press Burn.
If you are not sure about something, use Help menu in both iMovie and iDVD,
they are not that hard to understand.

I presumed that you don't have a Final Cut, if you've got it, then,
from MPEG Streamclip export as QuickTime. The rest is pretty much same,
I don't want to confuse you further with details as you might not have Final Cut anyway.

Mio
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login