Re: Can any help recommend a Camcorder for FCP 6 ?

Can any help recommend a Camcorder for FCP 6 ? (July 18, 2008 06:45AM) DLU
Can any help recommend a Camcorder for FCP 6 ?
Needs to be:
1. hard drive based
2. around 1,000.00
3. Firewire
4. 1080 P

Does it exist ?
Re: Can any help recommend a Camcorder for FCP 6 ? (July 18, 2008 06:55AM) Ken Stone Admin
There is a Sony HD HDV camera for around $1,400.00.

Is this price too high?

--ken
Re: Can any help recommend a Camcorder for FCP 6 ? (July 18, 2008 08:01AM) DLU
Ken

that is around the amount.... (What is the model Number) so far, I purchased a Sony Hard disk recorder...model SONY HDR-SR11 but it turned out that it did not have firewire, so I returned it .... then I purchased a JVC Model GZHD5US with Firewire(i link HDV)999.00 and it was incompatible with FCP 6.. i returned that one... i'm batting less than 100.

I guess an alternative might be to buy a affordable converter like Black magic, AJA, or Canopus. I but I'm not sure which one would convert an HDMi cable to I link to get it into FCP? I know... Questions Questions... it sure is confusing finding the right camera with a limited budget.

you web site is the best .... thanks for your response

Darryl
Re: Can any help recommend a Camcorder for FCP 6 ? (July 18, 2008 08:13AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Darryl,

Richard Randolph just bought the camera and did some tests with it, in FCP 6.0.3. Log and Transfer worked very well, but I believe that it is USB2. Many cameras are going with USB2, no more Firewire. USB2 seems very fast for file transfer.

I can get the model number from him tomorrow if you like.

Let me know.

--ken
Re: Can any help recommend a Camcorder for FCP 6 ? (July 19, 2008 07:56AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: Can any help recommend a Camcorder for FCP 6 ? (July 18, 2008 10:22AM) David Harbsmeier
Ken is correct. If the camera records to a hard drive, you don't need to have a Firewire connection ( Firewire is for capturing from tape). Just transfer the files to your Mac via USB, convert them to an editing format and then import them into your FCP project.

-DH
Re: Can any help recommend a Camcorder for FCP 6 ? (July 18, 2008 11:09AM) Ken Stone Admin
You can also choose ProRes 422 in the Log and Transfer window so that the HDV gets transcoded to ProRes on ingest.

--ken
Re: Can any help recommend a Camcorder for FCP 6 ? (July 18, 2008 02:58PM) johnmcd
If I could chime in ... your list of qualifications for your new camera said it must be "hard drive based". I just upgraded FROM a hard drive based camera, and I don't think I'll ever go back. I used the JVC Everio camera I can't remember the model number, but it was something like MG555 - it was really a pain ... all of the files had to be converted to a Mac-friendly format, and they didn't look very good. Couldn't key stuff out on a green screen. Heaven forbid I move to quick, and the video pixelates. Also, don't treat it too rough while you're shooting ... the hard drive will crash. I just got upgraded to the Canon HV30. Wow. Beautiful 1080 video, 30 fps, and it's UNDER $1000! Although it's not 1080 "p". Just 1080 "i".

john
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login