Re: iMovie says file too big

iMovie says file too big (July 22, 2008 12:23PM) Gretchen
Still want to copy (just rip) a portion from my non-copywritten DVD to a new disc. Step 1: I used Steamclip to get the file into MPEG. Step 2: Open iMovie to take it into FV(?) Step 3: Use iDVD to burn the new disc. Is this all that is required?

Step 1 is done (twice once with time codes and once without because I didn't know the difference). Now I'm ready for step 2. Yet iMovie wont let me bring in the file because it is too large (more than 3 minutes). It tells me to use Quicktime to trim clips down to smaller units. Yet, when I go to do this Quicktime tells me I need to buy Quicktime Pro to do it because all I have is Quicktime Play. I've already spent $20 for Apple Playback and now it is saying $30 more for Quicktime Pro. Will THIS be enough??? Is there anyway to use what comes on my Mac OS X to edit a disc (+ newly bought Playback Component and Parian and Streamclip)??? I do expect to do more similar jobs so if it is REQUIRED then I'll spend more money. Please advise.
Re: iMovie says file too big (July 22, 2008 12:32PM) David Harbsmeier
Step 1: Uuse MPEG Streamclip to convert the DVD's VOB files into a .DV stream, which works natively in iMovie.

Step 2: Edit as needed.

Step 3: Export for iDVD as you would any other project.

-DH
Re: iMovie says file too big (July 22, 2008 01:28PM) rista
Re: iMovie says file too big (July 22, 2008 09:52PM) Gretchen
Yes, Mio. I've been trying to FOLLOW your directions as explained before. I have completed the first step using Streamlip to put my original DVD into a .dv stream. Yet, when I try to bring it (the DV stream) into iMovie, iMovie says the file is too large (to be brought into to iMovie) and to use Quicktime to cut it down to smaller units. But, when I go to Quicktime to "cut", Quicktime says I must have Quicktime PRO ($30) in order to cut and only allows the "copy" function. Evidently, I have Quicktime Play not PRO. So, now I'm just wondering if I MUST buy more stuff to get this done? I've already bought Apple's Playback Component.... Also, in case it matters - when using Streamclip I first used the default settings. The second time I did the .dv stream without using the preselected choices which had something to do with time codes. It was the FIRST dv stream that I tried unsuccessfully to bring into iMovie, perhaps the second one without the time codes will work? If buying Quicktime Pro is the best (easiest) solution, then I suppose I'll do it. I just don't want to have to spend more money on each successive step. What do you say now???

~G

Re: iMovie says file too big (July 23, 2008 03:46AM) rista
Re: iMovie says file too big (July 24, 2008 03:12AM) Gretchen
Thanks for the effort Mio and Steve. Steve, I wish it was a simple camera function, like you suggest, but even with my firewire hooked to my Mac and playing the DVD, my Sony Handycam cannot RECORD to tape from the computer or onto the memory 'stick' either. Obviously, if i was desperate, i could point and focus the camera to my big mac screen and record THAT way, but that would defeat my purpose in trying to learn/use all this cool digital technology and actually get DIGITAL images copied.

Mio, the files appear in .dv and .mpeg in my Documents section and both play fine in Streamclip. Yet, when I take the scrubber(?) tab to where i want to cut and click "cut" nothing happens. When I click "trim", the screen flashes for a second, but nothing gets trimmed. My version of iMovie is 4.0 and I do not have Final Cut and don't think I said that i did. I have Quicktime 7.5 PLAYER not PRO and Apple Playback Component.

Given this, do I have what it takes to do this job? I'm also currently trying to progress using the detailed quidelines provided by M under the Streamclip Trimming topic here. Thanks again and I'll keep trying until I get it or find out what else I need to buy to do it.

~G
Re: iMovie says file too big (July 23, 2008 02:16AM) sbeisen
Re: iMovie says file too big (July 23, 2008 02:26AM) Gretchen
OK. I need more specific instructions from you, Steve to follow your advise. It sounds like you are telling me to put my DVD back on tape. I can plug my camera into the Mac, but I don't think it can record from the mac onto the camera (tape). It just goes the other direction (camera to Mac). What exactly are you suggesting and what equipment do i need to do it? Define "dub".

Why does Streamclip give me all these great choices in the pull down menu but then not utilize them? And, it doesn't even bother to give alerts or warnings telling me why. The thick printed Guidebook is now help either. I'm frustrated. Wish I could take a class, but most schools teach PC not Mac...

Steve, I obviously don't know much, but what you're suggesting seems impossible given my equipment availability. The DVD I'm working with came from old VHS tape (not mini) which I paid a professional to convert to a DVD. Now I want to rip a section from this DVD to make a new copy. None of it is copy written, just personal home movies. What i think you're saying sounds like going backward or like I'd need expensive equipment to do it (like the Pro i paid used). I do now have a Sony camera that uses mini DV(?) tapes, but just records in camera mode as far as I know. Please explain further.

Re: iMovie says file too big (July 23, 2008 03:45AM) sbeisen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login