Making Quicktime Movie from EX1 footage?

Making Quicktime Movie from EX1 footage? (July 23, 2008 02:36PM) larrys
I have have a sequence of clips, 25 minutes long, of footage shot 1080p24, and I want to create a self contained quicktime movie. I want the movie to be small to send on a disc or over internet to be viewed in this rough cut form. What is the way to export the sequence to get best results.

Thanks!
Re: Making Quicktime Movie from EX1 footage? (July 23, 2008 03:43PM) sbeisen
Re: Making Quicktime Movie from EX1 footage? (July 23, 2008 04:08PM) larrys
Thanks Steve, I did the ref movie and dropped it onto compressor. I have never used compressor, how do I make the .h264 400 file?

Thanks!

Larry
Re: Making Quicktime Movie from EX1 footage? (July 24, 2008 01:22AM) Craig Seeman
Use a Compressor Quicktime 7 Download preset.

Then take the time to explore Compressor. Read some of the articles on this site relating to it. Use the PDF Manual. IMHO opinion one had better have at least a basic knowledge of one compression app in this day and age. I don't deliver on tape. Everything is compressed to something. That something is what the client sees. You can shoot on an F35 but if what you hand the client looks bad . . . well that's what they're getting. Know how to compress. Your job will depend on it.
Re: Making Quicktime Movie from EX1 footage? (July 24, 2008 02:48AM) larrys
Thanks Craig and Steve,

OK, I went into the manual and did a .h264 compression and it came out fine EXCEPT that the video was shot on a sony ex1 in hd widescreen and the compressed video did not come out in widescreen. Can you tell me how to handle this so the quicktime movie that comes out of compressor is in widescreen?

Thanks.

Larry
Re: Making Quicktime Movie from EX1 footage? (July 24, 2008 06:05PM) Craig Seeman
Did you use a preset? The H264 presets do default to 4:3

Try this,
In Compressor 3 go to Apple/Other Workflows/Web/Download/QuickTime 7 Compatible
and choose the H.264 800Kbps preset
Duplicate it
Open the copy of the preset
Go to Geometry tab in the Inspector
Where it says Frame Size change it from Custom (4:3) to Custom (16:9) in the pull down choices
You can add to Name or Description 16:9 so you can remember what your new preset does.
Save it
Apply it to your file and compress.
Re: Making Quicktime Movie from EX1 footage? (July 24, 2008 12:37AM) sbeisen
Re: Making Quicktime Movie from EX1 footage? (July 24, 2008 04:47AM) larrys
Thanks Craig and Steve,

OK, I went into the manual and did a .h264 compression and it came out fine EXCEPT that the video was shot on a sony ex1 in hd widescreen and the compressed video did not come out in widescreen. Can you tell me how to handle this so the quicktime movie that comes out of compressor is in widescreen?
Re: Making Quicktime Movie from EX1 footage? (July 24, 2008 01:43PM) sbeisen
Re: Making Quicktime Movie from EX1 footage? (July 24, 2008 02:00PM) steve douglas
Steve, you must realize that manuals are not the be all and say all you might think them to be. Often they can be vague and confusing to even the advanced user let alone the novice. That is why we have this forum, to get help and to help others. I have frequently found the answers given here by many of the users to be far more concise and clearer than any manual. Yes, we should all take a gander at the many manuals, books and tutorials on the market today. However, I remember when I started with FCP version 1.0 that the manuals were almost worthless and there was absolutely no supplemental materials out there. If it weren't for 2-pop and, shortly after, the Ken Stone site, many would have given up ages ago. Remember, you yourself surely learned from a watch and do modality more than you did a manual.
Steve Douglas
Re: Making Quicktime Movie from EX1 footage? (July 25, 2008 02:18AM) sbeisen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login