Re: FCP Courses for Women?

FCP Courses for Women? (July 24, 2008 04:44PM) FemmeFinal
Does anyone know of any significant FCP courses, perhaps more that one or two weeks, which is geared to the less computer literate and possible women. Would be fantastic to learn in an enviroment without buzzing flourescent lights and stress! I can dream cant I ?
Re: FCP Courses for Women? (July 24, 2008 10:43PM) David Harbsmeier
When working with professional computer programs, such as FCP, it really helps if you're somewhat computer literate. Of all the time I've been using an NLE, the problems that crop up on this and other forums often come from those that are "less computer literate" or those without a basic grasp of the technical nature of the software and hardware involved.

If you plan to edit for a living, it would really help you in the long run to become more computer/technical literate. I'd recommend taking some basic courses/tutorials to better prepare yourself to confront potential problems in the future.

If you just don't want to learn any of that and only want to learn FCP, there are any number of tutorials and classes available that are suitable for just about anyone ... male or female.

-DH
Re: FCP Courses for Women? (July 25, 2008 03:21AM) FemmeFinal
Thanks DH.... I have made award winning videos in my past that have been televised internationally. I still have a good grasp of lighting, camera, writing,and other aspects of production and of course I still LOVE the idea of telling a great story to a wide audience. I always did a paper edit and took the work to an editor to do the actual hands on work. At this point in my life I am not really trying to make a living from editing I just want to be able to work through my own projects to some degree thus the investment in a MBP and FCstudio 2. I have bought tutorials and books and though i put myself down I have absorbed alot and am more than a total beginner. However I have run across significant problems right from the get go that I cant find solutions to and I can than be grounded for months...so it is wa y to s l o w ...so yes I would be very interested in a course FCP but not in a one week superloaded type because I know I would be over my head and just overwhelmed with the info. I am having a hard time finding courses for the less able....If you know of links and site especially in Canada that would be a great help!
Re: FCP Courses for Women? (July 25, 2008 07:10AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: FCP Courses for Women? (July 25, 2008 01:31PM) FemmeFinal
Thanks Ken. I have already bought some of these. I think a class would do me a world of good...
Re: FCP Courses for Women? (July 26, 2008 01:12AM) Andy
Re: FCP Courses for Women? (July 26, 2008 10:03PM) Dave Hardy
Don't let yourself be intimidated by your editing machine. Editing is a technique of telling a story by shaping emotional experiences for an audience. You can't do that if you find yourself constantly fighting the machine.

I started teaching people to edit with Final Cut in Vancouver about 8 years ago. Prior to that I mainly taught people to edit using film gear. Teaching people to edit using flatbed editors, upright moviolas & rewind benches was a pleasure, as about a half hour needed to be spent on how to run the hardware and the rest of the time could be spent on the craft of editing.

Today the editing machine (Final Cut) has become so complicated that one rarely has the luxury of discussing the tasks that the tools were supposedly designed to preform. Last week I had the pleasure of having a student who actually
wanted to learn about editing. Every so often this happens, but by & large most folks are simply trying to find a roadmap through that forest of manuals so that they can get some work done.

Dave
Re: FCP Courses for Women? (July 27, 2008 05:41AM) FemmeFinal
Thanks for the suggestions.
Yes Dave i totally understand your comments. I did edit film long ago on a steenbeck with the bins of hanging film strips in the background, the light table the splicers. For some reason it seemed more straightforward.....wading through I am ! !!
Re: FCP Courses for Women? (July 27, 2008 12:35PM) Dave Hardy
Final Cut is a fabulous editing machine once you get the hang of it. Depending on whether you're working on your own projects or freelancing cutting productions for others, the number of ulcers you need to acquire to get to the point where it becomes a pleasure will vary.

All the best.

Dave
Re: FCP Courses for Women? (July 31, 2008 01:49AM) peter rooney
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login