Re: Matrox MXO or MXO2

Matrox MXO or MXO2 (July 26, 2008 03:36AM) Gunther Maier
Ken,

I read your review of the MXO and I think I will buy the unit till I saw that there is the MXO2 coming out soon. I also saw the specs for both units but it got me confused to what unit to buy. What is your take on both boxes?
Re: Matrox MXO or MXO2 (July 26, 2008 05:28AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Gunther,

Different units. The MXO ($999) is for output only. The MXO 2 ($1,599) handles all types of input as well as output. It's like a video capture card you would put in your Mac.

The MXO 2 can not output broadcast to a ACD, it has HDMI and Component out.

--ken
Re: Matrox MXO or MXO2 (July 26, 2008 10:35AM) Lynchy
Gunther,
if you're going to get the mxo be aware that at the moment it won't work with fcp 6.0.4 / QT 7.5 nor does it have native output support for the EX1. Hopefully these are issues the company will resolve shortly.
David
Re: Matrox MXO or MXO2 (July 26, 2008 10:45AM) Gunther Maier
David,
thanks for the heads up. I guess I will wait till they fix this since I use FCP 6.0.4/QT 7.5 and I don't want to go backwards.

Re: Matrox MXO or MXO2 (July 26, 2008 10:57AM) Ken Stone Admin
I just heard from Wayne at Matrox. They plan on having a fix by mid-August (same time as the MXO 2 rollout, which needs the fix too).

--ken
Re: Matrox MXO or MXO2 (July 26, 2008 11:12AM) Ken Stone Admin
David,

The MXO does indeed have full support for all flavors of HDV and EX1 footage. What is important is that the frame size you pick in the Easy Setup matches the fame size in your sequence settings.

--ken
Re: Matrox MXO or MXO2 (July 26, 2008 11:54AM) Lynchy
Re: Matrox MXO or MXO2 (July 26, 2008 02:38PM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi David,

Here is an interesting point.

If you look at all of the MXO settings, you'll notice that no where is color space an option, not 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 or 4:1:1.

All of the HDV video is 4:2:0 and the MXO handles that just fine, so I don't know why it would not work the same with EX 1 footage that is also 4:2:0

I'm very new to this and not a tech guy, but I don't think that this is an issue.

What do you think?

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login