External Drive Questions!

External Drive Questions! (July 28, 2008 05:57AM) larrys
Ken,

In a previous post I explained to you that i was working on a project on my Macbook Pro and you told me that I really need an external drive.

My questions:

1) In the middle of this project, can I move all of my Sony EX1 footage files over to an external drive? If so, how do I transfer the whole project over and continue working?

2) The drive I have is a Maxtor drive. It uses a USB connection and it is a 7200 drive.

Thanks,

Larry
Re: External Drive Questions! (July 28, 2008 06:34AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Larry,

You really shopuld not use USB with FCP. USB sends data in packets, firewire, which is what we use for FCP streams the data. You can run into both capture and playback issues with a USB drive.

If all your media is in one folder, you could drag the folder to your new hard drive, then launch FCP and 'reconnect'. Leave the FCP Project file on your boot drive.

--ken
Re: External Drive Questions! (July 28, 2008 06:38AM) larrys
Hi Ken,

Yes, I was afraid of that. In my old editing days (fcp3) I had a nice firewire drive. This, and other needs, are leading me to the purchase of another mac. You'll see my other post with questions about purchasing a new mac pro. If you have a moment, please take a look at that post, I could use some help with choosing the cew computer for fcp.

Thanks!

Larry
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login