Re: Purchase of Mac Pro - Help Please.

Purchase of Mac Pro - Help Please. (July 28, 2008 06:06AM) larrys
Ken and All,

I have been working exclusively on my Macbook Pro and I need to purchase a computer for FCP and all of my projects. Questions...

1) To save some money on the purchase, I am considering only getting one of the 2.8 ghz quad-cores. Good idea?
2) Graphics Card. It comes with a ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB. For FCP, would it be worth upgrading to the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB for $135.00 more?
3) OR, would the 24 inch 2.8 ghz imac work just as well for FCP?

Thanks for any advice!

Larry
Re: Purchase of Mac Pro - Help Please. (July 28, 2008 06:37AM) Ken Stone Admin
Larry,

Yes, the 2.8 ghz quad-core MacPro is a powerful Mac. (I just bought one last week.)

If you plan on working with Motion and Color, then you would want the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB. As time goes by, more apps are going to be using the monitor card.

There are a number of people now running FC Studio 2 on the 24" iMac, seems to work well.

--ken
Re: Purchase of Mac Pro - Help Please. (July 28, 2008 06:44AM) larrys
Well, as I was answering your "external drive" post, you answered this one!

Ken, when I get the new computer, it will have OS 10.5. Is everything ok now with 10.5 and the newest Quicktime? I am still on OS 10.4.11 and Quicktime 7.3.1.

Thanks
Re: Purchase of Mac Pro - Help Please. (July 28, 2008 07:02AM) Ken Stone Admin
Well, my new MacPro is running 10.5.4 with QT 7.5. I have not done any heavy lifting but things seem okay. There are a few issues with QT 7.5. The ProcAmps in the Matrox MXO software stopped working but Matrox is working on a fix. Probably a few others.

You will have to move up at some point, I think that a new Mac with the newest software is probably the best time to do it.

My 2 cents.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login