AVCHD conversion

AVCHD conversion (March 07, 2010 03:38PM) dkag7
Hi All,
Can anyone recommend a good conversion tool, I need to convert MTS or M2TS files to MOV standard definition
I will just be getting files, so FCP log and transfer dont seem to be working for this.
It gives me an error saying that the directory structure is invalid.
If i had the correct directory structure (the customer copied the entire directory from the camera to a HDD), would log and transfer be able to work with the files then?
If it can, can i transfer these files as standard definition or do i need to stay in HDV?
The end product will be DVDs, so i think converting the files to SD (MOV) first, is probably the best option, then import those converted files into FCP.

I tried clipwrap, it causes a lot of jittering in the footage, unusable.
Sorenson6 and episode can not import/export them correct due to the audio formats in the files.
popcorn4 seems to do the best conversion, but i need to convert them to .DV and not a regular QT MOV. The MOV conversion can not get the correct aspect ratio (always gets letterboxing, no matter what i try).
the .DV files seem to be the best, but the audio needs to get rendered in FCP, not a big deal, but I'd prefer to get them into FCP correctly as MOV file formats.

Thanks
Kurt
Re: AVCHD conversion (March 08, 2010 04:50AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: AVCHD conversion (March 08, 2010 05:16AM) dkag7
Thanks, but i tried it. It dont seem to like it, they can not be imported.
There are many softwares out there to convert AVCHD but most are junk, that I tried, sync goes out etc...
I have someone at clipwrap looking at the jitter problem now.

If it helps anyone else, here is a procedure that works good (and fast).
1. Import the AVCHD files into either popcorn4 or Toast 10.
2, Convert the file to Quicktime movie (i am using NTSC/DV seeing it will end up on DVDs)
3. The file will convert fast but the resolution of the export (even though it reads 720x480 in QT player), will import into FCP7 with still the HD resolution.
4. so to fix that, I take the exported file from popcorn4 and import that into compressor
5. Compress that to the standard MOV QT file (720x480 and same settings for video and audio as used in popcorn4). The compression is done almost instantly, I think it is just wrapping a header around it for the resolution...

that seems to work good, with production quality files.

Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login