Burned DVDS won't read or play

Burned DVDS won't read or play (July 30, 2008 05:40PM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

I just experienced a new problem burning DVDs in my G5. As of today, upon completion, I get the message "Burn unsuccessful. Unable to verify." There are grooves burned on the DVD but the DVDs are not acknowledged or read by either the G5 or my Panasonic external deck that I use to check the disks on. I have tried burning out of Disk Utility from a Disk Image and straight out of DVDSP4 but always with the same result. Therefore, I am surmising that, unless I am mistaken, this is not a software problem.
The only other factor I can suspect might be due to blowing out the dust from the interior of the G5 with a compressed air can. I have done this in the past with no negative result. Could this have damaged something inside? The burner is lodged within an enclosure and I did not open it up.
I should add that previously made DVDs play fine on all systems.

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Burned DVDS won't read or play (July 31, 2008 11:53AM) Ken Stone Admin
Blowing out the dust could be the problem. They sell optical head cleaner disks that you can try.

--ken
Re: Burned DVDS won't read or play (July 31, 2008 12:45PM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

I was told by Applecare that my DVD burner is history and need a new one to the tune of $300.

Who sells optical head cleaner disks?

-Phil
Re: Burned DVDS won't read or play (July 31, 2008 05:13PM) Ken Stone Admin
Most big box stores that sell DVD players.

I've lost several Superdrives over the years. When I want to get one replaced, apple wanted $600.00. I went out and bought a Firewire DVD burner.

--ken
Re: Burned DVDS won't read or play (August 01, 2008 12:29AM) philsfilm
I was quoted $299 plus NYS state tax and shipping, ie., about $350. My question is whether the drive is really damaged by the compressed air I sprayed to clean out the dust. So I'll check out the optical head cleaner disk first.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Re: Burned DVDS won't read or play (August 02, 2008 02:33PM) Scott Wolfson
Hi Phil,
Check out OWC at macsales.com They sell Apple Superdrives for $49. It may be even less now. I had to replace a superdrive in my G5 several months ago and I bought a Pioneer drive from them. I asked Apple how much it would cost before I bought that drive and they told me somewhere in that neighborhood of $300 for the drive and a hundred for labor charges. Save your money and go with OWC. They also sell RAM, internal hard drives, basically anything and everything for your Mac, but a lot less expensive than buying through Apple.

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login