Creating a DV file on DVD

Creating a DV file on DVD (March 20, 2010 12:50AM) cadboll
Hi.

I have pulled together a project in FCP and have been asked to provide a DV file on DVD in PAL format. (The project was shot in PAL.) Could you advise on how best to do this? Originally I thought you export it as a QT movie and then burn to DVD using Studio Pro, but I think this is wrong.

Thanks.
Re: Creating a DV file on DVD (March 20, 2010 02:49AM) David Harbsmeier
Keeping in mind that you'll only be able to get roughly 20 minutes of DV codec footage on a standard DVD disc (with approximately 4.3gb of data storage), place the DV file in a burn folder and burn a data DVD (DVD-ROM) from the Finder.

-DH
Re: Creating a DV file on DVD (March 20, 2010 02:54AM) cadboll
Hi. Thanks for that - would you also mind advising on the best way to create the DV file? Thank you.
Re: Creating a DV file on DVD (March 20, 2010 03:02AM) David Harbsmeier
Assuming that you're working in a DV Timeline in FCP, simply export a self-contained movie from FCP. Go to File->Export->QuickTime Movie. Do NOT recompress all frames.

-DH
Re: Creating a DV file on DVD (March 20, 2010 03:19AM) cadboll
Hi. Thanks again - I've been able to do that successfully. Could I trouble you with one more question - now that I have the file created, e.g. Sample.mov - if I then burn it as you advised in your first reply, i.e. file in a burn folder etc - even though it is a .mov file - I take it this is still a DV file - since it was created in a DV timeline? Thanks.
Re: Creating a DV file on DVD (March 20, 2010 03:21AM) David Harbsmeier
Yes, it should be. You can verify this by opening the file in QuickTime Player and looking at the movie properties.

-DH
Re: Creating a DV file on DVD (March 20, 2010 07:25AM) David Harbsmeier
Ken,

According to the OP, he wanted to deliver the file in DV PAL format. As you know, creating a DVD video disc won't do that.

-DH
Re: Creating a DV file on DVD (March 20, 2010 07:44AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi David,

My bad, I thought he wanted to create a DV-PAL DVD.

--ken
Re: Creating a DV file on DVD (March 20, 2010 08:26AM) David Harbsmeier
I knew you knew, but figured you'd just mis-read the post. I do it all the time!

-DH
Re: Creating a DV file on DVD (March 20, 2010 08:36AM) Ken Stone Admin
The longer the thread the more likely I'll mess up.

(g)

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login