Render green preview scenes necessary for DVD prep?

Render green preview scenes necessary for DVD prep? (April 19, 2010 05:55AM) philsfilm
Hi Ken,

Just finished editing a one hour timeline in ProRes with many scenes that exist in the green RT preview mode, including a few Smoothcam scenes. Is it necessary to render them in the timeline before compressing them for DVD? Or will that take care of itself when I export and compress? I'm doing a 2 minute test export unrendered as I write and it's taking a long time already.
Any advice?

Thanks,
Phil
Re: Render green preview scenes necessary for DVD prep? (April 19, 2010 06:12AM) philsfilm
My 2 minute QT movie export test was almost 2 GBs. There's gotta be a more efficient way.
Re: Render green preview scenes necessary for DVD prep? (April 19, 2010 06:40AM) Ken Stone Admin
Which ProRes are you using, ProRes or ProRes (HQ)?

What codec is your source video?

--ken
Re: Render green preview scenes necessary for DVD prep? (April 19, 2010 06:53AM) philsfilm
It's standard ProRes. Source video was HDV.

Would it create a smaller file if I rendered upfront in the timeline and THEN exported?
Would "Send to Compressor" be more efficient even though it ties up the FCP system?
Re: Render green preview scenes necessary for DVD prep? (April 19, 2010 07:50AM) Ken Stone Admin
Can I assume that you transcoded to ProRes on ingest?"

As far as I'm concerned, there are still a few issues with 'Send to Compressor', so I render everything and then export this way.

Select the Sequence in the Browser or in the Timeline, set In and Out points.

File > Export > QT (Not with Conversion). Make Self Contained, Use Current Settings, Do Not Recompress all frames.

--ken
Re: Render green preview scenes necessary for DVD prep? (April 19, 2010 02:35PM) philsfilm
Yes, Ken, I did transcode to ProRes on ingest.

The question is "Should I render the timeline before export?"
Re: Render green preview scenes necessary for DVD prep? (April 19, 2010 02:41PM) Ken Stone Admin
I do.

--ken
Re: Render green preview scenes necessary for DVD prep? (April 19, 2010 03:41PM) philsfilm
Will rendering the timeline before export, make the exported FCP Movie file any smaller? This is a 63 minute movie.
Re: Render green preview scenes necessary for DVD prep? (April 19, 2010 04:16PM) Ken Stone Admin
Not really.

--ken
Re: Render green preview scenes necessary for DVD prep? (April 19, 2010 10:47PM) philsfilm
So if my 2 minute QT movie export test took approx. 20 minutes and 2 GBs, then a 60 minute film should take 10 hours to export and create a 60 GB FCP QT movie file. Does that sound right?
Re: Render green preview scenes necessary for DVD prep? (April 19, 2010 06:38AM) Ken Stone Admin
Hi Phil,

If you 'Send to Compressor' then everything would be re rendered anyway. But this is not the way I do it.

Export as a QT self contained current settings, will render during export.

But .... I like to render before I export. If you have any audio work or a number of audio tracks, then I would also to an' Audio Mixdown'.

--ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login