Capturing old Hi-8 Analog tapes -- correctly

Capturing old Hi-8 Analog tapes -- correctly (August 06, 2008 07:53AM) gt
Hello,
I fell off the FCP bandwagon at Mac OS 9 and FCP 3 but am now getting back into it. I'm getting a new iMac (3Ghz) and want to capture Hi-8 analog video tapes from 10 years ago. I've searched the website and the net and here is what I think will work.

The Hi-8 tapes are put in my Sony EV-85000 Hi-8 deck. This is connected to the iMac via the Canopus ADVC110 and capture is accomplished with Final Cut Express 4.0. Then these files are edited on FCE. Am I missing something or is it now just that easy.

Thank you very much,
gt
Re: Capturing old Hi-8 Analog tapes -- correctly (August 06, 2008 08:17AM) Videot
Re: Capturing old Hi-8 Analog tapes -- correctly (August 06, 2008 09:20AM) peter rooney
I gave up struggling with decks and cards to do this work. I re-encoded a lot of stuff over the years. I now film it all directly on an LCD monitor, with a line out to the camera for audio and it's as good as a digital re-encode through cards or decks etc ( at least i can't see any difference) as most of the original stuff is bordering on crap quality to begin with.
Peter
Re: Capturing old Hi-8 Analog tapes -- correctly (August 06, 2008 09:25AM) David Harbsmeier
gt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Am I missing something or is it now just that easy.

It's just that easy .... however, you may want to consider transferring the old analog tapes to DV and then Log & Capture instead of using Capture Now. There's three advantages to this; 1) you'll avoid the issues that often crop up using Capture Now. 2) you'll have Timecode on the DV tape so if you ever needed to recapture it'll be a cinch ... and 2) you'll have a good archive of the old footage on a digital format.

Another thing to consider is adding a TBC in-line between the playback device and the converter. A TBC will help stabilize and reduce timing errors inherent in analog tape playback. The Canopus ADVC300 has a built-in TBC but a full frame TBC would yield better results.

-DH
Re: Capturing old Hi-8 Analog tapes -- correctly (August 06, 2008 10:57AM) steve douglas
I have a mint condition Sony EVC-100 Hi 8 deck that has sat in my storage closet for several years. Would consider selling it but will not return to the US until Aug. 29th. You can contact me then if you wish.
Steve
Re: Capturing old Hi-8 Analog tapes -- correctly (August 06, 2008 11:28AM) David Harbsmeier
I have a Sony EV-S7000 Hi8 VTR for sale as well. Its been boxed up and ready to go for a few years now.

-DH
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login