Re: Widescreen shooting question

Widescreen shooting question (August 07, 2008 04:38AM) Tom Stitzer
Hi all,

I've been doing wedding videos for just over a year and half, and I've shot always in 4:3. I know my cameras have the option to do the 16:9. Should I do that? Should I leave it up to each customer and ask them? I know that the black bars on the top and bottom are going to be there if I do that and I also know that some people hate that. I thought that i would explain it to them that the benefit is the wider picture angle.

What are your thoughts? As I said, I'm a relative newbie and wasn't sure about this. Maybe the option to shoot 16:9 on my camera isn't even a good option, is it? The cameras are Panasonic PV-GS300. I know, it's a consumer camera, and our goal is to get better HD cameras soon, but that's another topic I'll need to look into more before asking you guys for help.

Thanks,

Tom
Re: Widescreen shooting question (August 07, 2008 05:31AM) sbeisen
Re: Widescreen shooting question (August 07, 2008 06:26AM) David
Are you sure you're getting a wider picture when you switch to 16:9? When I switch to to widescreen mode in my sony 150, all it does is crop the top and bottom, giving the appearance of a wider view.

DD
Re: Widescreen shooting question (August 07, 2008 08:47AM) Tom Stitzer
As far as I know, it doesn't just crop but actually does give you the wide angle. When I'm viewing stuff I want to shoot, switching to 16:9 shows more on each side.

However, if it does make my video softer, I don't want that. We've had decent results with our videos using 4:3. It is true though that it is not great in low light. For our clients, they understand that their reception footage will be much darker than the ceremony footage and so far, they've been ok with that. We were looking into Litepanels as well trying to find a good HD camera, somewhere in the prosumer range or very low professional range.

Anyway, I guess I will just stick with the 4:3 so that the picture stays as crisp as possible. If anyone else has any other thoughts, feel free to list them. Thanks!

Tom
Re: Widescreen shooting question (August 07, 2008 10:28AM) filmographer
Your main concern at this point should NOT be whether or not to shoot in 16:9 (with that camera I wouldn't) but to purchase a light and a good wireless lav as to insure that the best possible audio and video can be achieved given the equipment you have. Also, buy an after market shoulder brace if you are doing any hand held shooting- there is nothing more distracting than the shaky shots that are common when using these newer cameras. The first thing I bought was a brace for my HVX 200 and am really glad I did. I am editing for a company on the West Coast (I have been shooting weddings in the NYC/L.I. area since 1986 so I know a little about shooting weddings... editing with FCP... still a beginner) and what I am seeing in terms of audio, image quality (they do not own a light) shot composition and finally steadiness of shot is just awful; yet, there are 7 different angles of the cake done with reveals and every other creative technique. My point is, take care of the basics first and then worry about 16:9, 4:3, HD et al. I can really go on for an hour about how to really shoot a wedding effectively, and most of what I would say has NOTHING to do with the equipment!
Re: Widescreen shooting question (August 07, 2008 02:16PM) Tom Stitzer
Yes, well a light is next on my list, as well as a better quality camera. I do have a wireless mic I use for the ceremony to capture the vows, but during the reception, I use the music the DJ plays as it's captured to the camera and a handheld recorder as well. As for shakiness, I use a tripod for both cameras at the ceremony and at the reception. I don't do handheld so much, but I do move around with the tripod, collapsing it up and using at as a monopod. As far as technique goes, I think I have a good deal of the basics in control for now.

As far as shooting 16:9 or not, I gather from the comments that it's probably not worth it, unless a client asks for it. If I get a better quality HD camera, then I suppose widescreen will be allright then.

Anyway, I ask all of this because what i have seen a lot of, is that people do NOT tune their TV's properly. They use the auto function which does not always detect things correctly. So my DVDs, 4:3, appear stretched on their TVs until I say, look, tune this and voila, it's looking right! Black bars appear on the sides of their widescreen TV's picture and the dvd looks good. I had thought that by shooting widescreen i could avoid that problem in the future. But if it makes things softer, I don't want that. So, 4:3 it is... for now!
Re: Widescreen shooting question (August 07, 2008 02:29PM) filmographer
When you step up to HD or HDV then you can shoot in 16:9, but for now just stay where you are at and you will be fine. If I were you I would look into a used Sony FX-1 (I RECOMMEND THIS BECAUSE I KNOW YOU ARE IN A BUDGET SITUATION AND CANNOT AT THIS TIME AFFORD A NEW HD/HDV CAMCORDER AND I REALLY DID GET GREAT RESULTS FROM THIS CAMERA BEFORE I PURCHASED MY HVX 200) of course there are better cameras out there now, but if your budget precludes you from any of these I really like the FX-1. As far as the light is concerned, get a variable control light such as the Frezzilini or NRG. Good luck to you...
MC
Re: Widescreen shooting question (August 07, 2008 02:57PM) Tom Stitzer
Ah thanks for those recommendations! I'll be looking into those for sure. Much appreciated! When it comes to cameras there are so many options, I was not relishing beginning the search!

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login