Re: welcome to my alpha layer

welcome to my alpha layer (August 07, 2008 06:10AM) lk
hi there,

i'm doing a very layer intensive project here at work and i'm running into an alpha channel problem. i have a base layer with an alpha channel embedded and then two more video layers on top of that. i have to use quicktime to compress all the layer and i send that to my desktop. when i import the quicktime to use in my final sequence i lose the alpha channel???
you all are always to helpful and if you have any help you can give me, as always i'm grateful.

~L
Re: welcome to my alpha layer (August 07, 2008 06:35AM) Ken Stone Admin
Export from FCP this way.

Select the Sequence in the Browser or in the Timeline, set In and Out points.

File > Export > QT (Not with Conversion). Make Self Contained, Use Current Settings, Do Not Recompress all frames.

--ken
Re: welcome to my alpha layer (August 07, 2008 06:43AM) ronny courtens
1. You don't have to convert your layers to a QuickTime video file to use them in another project:

- Just group-select the three layers and press CMD+C to copy them.
- Then go to your final project, click on an empty space in the timeline and press CMD+V to paste the three layers in the new timeline.
- Once the layers are on your final timeline, you can place them above any other layers and the alpha channel will be preserved.

The advantage of this method is that you keep your three layers intact in case you need to make any further changes to one of them.

2. If you really want to convert your layers to one QT video file and import this file in your final sequence:

- Export the layers using QuickTime Conversion and select the Animation codec with Millions of Colors +
- Import the QT file in your project and bring it into your new sequence. Your alpha channel will be preserved.

Best wishes,

Ronny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login