Re: multiclip glitches

multiclip glitches (August 07, 2008 11:16AM) Erniet
I'm new to Multiclip. I've followed all the settings perfectly and double-checked. I can go through the live cutting process and everything seems to work perfectly. But when I stop the playhead, rather than the marks being replaced by cuts, they disappear and it is all angle 1 again. I'm baffled and a little bit frustrated to understate it.

G4 dual 1.25 1.5 gb ram, FCP 5.0

Many thanks in advance for help.

Ernie
Re: multiclip glitches (August 07, 2008 12:49PM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: multiclip glitches (August 07, 2008 03:20PM) Erniet
Yes, it's a great article, it got me going. I've gone through it step by step and cross-checeked (also with the FCP manual) and everything is fine except the results, i.e. the edits disappear as soon as I stop the timeline.

Still hoping...... and working on it. Hoping this is not unique to me, anything more will be appreciated.

Ernie
Re: multiclip glitches (August 07, 2008 03:29PM) Ken Stone Admin
After your multiclip get placed onto the timeline, are you double clicking it to load it back into the Viewer before you do all the settings?

--ken
Re: multiclip glitches (August 08, 2008 08:57AM) Erniet
Hi Ken,

I was trying some other things before answering. Yes, I did the following:

matched the in points on the two clips.
Selected the two in the browser and made a multiclip.
Set the keyboard layout for multiclip
Dragged the MC from the browser onto an empty timeline (couldn't drag it from the viewer, it did nothing (?))
Double-clicked it into the viewer, checked "open" under sync.
Back to the timeline, hit space, then make the edits with the 1 and 2 keys.

Each time I hit a key, a blue marker would appear on the timeline, the borders move in the viewer the wya they should and the correct angle appears in the canvas. BUT. When I stop the playback, rather than the cuts appearing on the MC in the timeline, all the marks disappear and the multiclip is there as if I have done nothing.

While multiclip editing is new to me, I've gone over the steps and I am pretty sure that I have it all right.

Is there a step I should have taken missing above? Any other ideas?

Many many thanks for your time and wisdom.

Ernie
Re: multiclip glitches (August 08, 2008 09:39AM) Ken Stone Admin
Re: multiclip glitches (August 08, 2008 09:54AM) Erniet
I just made it work for the first time. By selecting a clip in the Viewer, then going to the timeline and hitting play, THEN going back to the viewer and making my first edit with the mouse, it works. Due to the rhythm of the music, it is way easier to cut with the 1 & 2 keys, but it seems I have to make the first cut with the mouse or they don't work.

But for all that, I am beginning to think that there is still something wrong. Because if I hit play in the viewer, it plays in the viewer but not in the timeline or canvas. If I hit play in the canvas, I get no audio.

Maybe you are right about the prefs. That has always confused me in OS10 - it is just Library>FCP>xxxfcp.plist, is that correct?

Again, MANY thanks, I think without this dialogue I'd have given it up.

Best,

Ernie
Re: multiclip glitches (August 08, 2008 09:57AM) Ken Stone Admin
Nope, please take a minute and read the article, the link is in my post above.

--ken
Re: multiclip glitches (August 09, 2008 11:59AM) Erniet
Ah yes, I did at first read only the text, didn't notice the link. I did trash the preferences with the guide.

In all events, it is running smoothly now - I edited three tunes to fine cut in about 2 1/2 hours - thanks to the speed of the first edits in multiclip.

Your help is truly appreciated. I remain astonished at the breadth and depth of your site and the doubtless tremendous effort you and your compadres put into it.

Best,

Ernie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login